Author Topic: Would you add more RD to this?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Would you add more RD to this?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 11:06:21 am »
I dont know the rule on waiting after toasting,,
I think work on your other bow a few days or week and then go back to the toasted one,,
I live in high desert,, I have sprayed mine with water after toasting to speed up re hydration,, but dont know if that is a good idea,,,,I just thought it might help,, didnt seem to hurt anything,,

if you put rawhide on it after toasting,, it will be ready when the hide is dry,,
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:10:31 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline bassman

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 06:30:32 pm »
I tiller the next day,but my basement is always 79 percent humidity.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:23 am »
The one and only black cherry bow I built was I think 70 “ ntn 2-1/2 “ wide at the fades ten inch handle. 2-1/2 inch of reflex that all pulled out . Ended up straight stave at 44#. Not shot a lot but hasn’t blown yet Pearl . >:( it’s light in mass and I have been thinking about putting Gems Buck horn on the belly and checking it for flight. Good luck with your build. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 10:18:59 am »
I too usually wait a day and then proceed.  Longer may be better, but I see no ill effect from 1 day wait.  That's on Osage for the most part, but Elm, Mulberry, Sugar Maple, Hackberry, ditto.  3 Texas Persimmon bows blew up, all right after heat treating, but I think they were all too high crowned to begin with, but I will wait longer from here on out if I ever touch the sorry @ss stuff again.  I used the rest of my Persimmon stash as fence stays.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 10:32:33 am »
I think bending too soon after heat is what killed my cherry sioux bow from my other thread. I toasted it after floor tiller, did final tiller the next day and it was bending great. It to very little wood removal to clean up tiller and get it drawing 40# @28" (@56" ntn). Everything was looking good and I was about to shoot some test arrows but I thought I should even up the heat treat in the areas where I removed wood. So I waited for it to cool back down to room temp, put it back on the tree and it kersploded. Probably would have been fine if I'd given it a day.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear