Author Topic: Wood-glue and sinew?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Chuck.e.b

Wood-glue and sinew?
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:15:37 am »
Anyone use waterproof wood-glue to bond sinew?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood-glue and sinew?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 12:38:16 pm »
Some folks use TBIII for sinew backing a bow and to seal sinew wraps. For backing I prefer hide glue. I have used TBIII to seal the backing on a sinew backed bow using hide glue to install the sinew.
 You'll get lots of answers from both schools here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 01:13:37 pm »
I've done both plenty. The only thing I can prove is that the wood glue sets much faster and has very, very little work time. Other than that, I cant prove which is better or worse. There are many theories that go both ways, but nobody will ever know until you can build two identical bows several times over using both glues.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 01:51:50 pm »
that seems about right,, (-S

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 03:19:48 pm »
I did a test recently that you might find interesting. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66655.0.html

Offline Chuck.e.b

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 05:47:44 pm »
I did a test recently that you might find interesting. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66655.0.html

Thanks! Hide glue it is.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 01:25:48 am »
Collagen glue :) 

Offline Chuck.e.b

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 11:39:00 am »
Found something of interest. The notion that hide glue is more firm and springy than titebond lead me to question what is the best type of hide(collagen) glue. I have a couple of deer hides but I also have some rabbit skin glue for priming canvas.

What I found was an article about collagen glues. Fish bladder glue was the firmest, then rabbit skin, then hide; but does this translate to springy? It would be interesting to do a similar test from above.

https://www.westdean.org.uk/study/school-of-conservation/blog/furniture/demonstrating-the-strength-of-collagen-glues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 12:03:51 pm »
The hide glue I use is bovine I think. I got it from Dick Blick, an art catalog. It comes in a 1# can of granular hide glue.
I think any collagen glue would work for backing bows. I know that people making horn bows like fish bladder glue but I don't think it is necessary for sinew backing on a regular bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 12:08:56 pm »
I think the fish glue is mostly used to lengthen the gel time. I don't think it's a strength thing.

Offline maitus

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 02:38:26 am »
Fish glue should be also more waterproof.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 05:06:30 am »
Considering the time and effort in preparing sinew I wouldn't risk anything but hide/fish glue (or maybe Titebond... )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 09:47:26 am »
Yes ,I have used tb3 to sinew back bows, and knox geletin. Both worked Ok for me. Ed Scott used tb2, and 3 with his sinew backed bows. He said hide glue was messy. Most say hide glue is the better way to go.