Author Topic: Tonkin River Reed vs. River Cane.  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Todd Mathis

Tonkin River Reed vs. River Cane.
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:16:31 pm »
The bamboo I have always dealt with is from china, and it is from the Tonkin River Valley, and as you can see, it is quite different from the river cane photo that DC posted.  (thanks DC)  I am a professional arrow maker and all I do is Bamboo.  Apparently, what I have been using is a different thing entirely.  Happy to answer any questions about bamboo, but I can't speak to river cane.  Best to all, and I'm looking forward to some great discussions.  If you want to see what the Tonkin River Bamboo (some call it the Tonkin River Reed) here is a photo.  You can see why I was surprised by the look of river cane such as DC uses.  Best to all, and just so you know...I'm new to this.

Offline Todd Mathis

Re: Tonkin River Reed vs. River Cane.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:21:12 pm »
Just so you know, there is JUNK bamboo and good stuff.  But the nodes tend to be small and grow inward.  Much respect to folks who can deal with those prominent nodes on the river cane!!!  I'm too lazy I suppose....

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:20:39 am »
So, I'm a bamboo fan, love it! My question for you is how closely do you match the spine of the arrows in a batch of 12?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:35:52 pm »
Todd, ironically, the genus of the 3 native canes in the US is Arundinaria, A. gigantia(river cane), A. tecta(switch cane) and A. appalachiana(hill cane). Unfortunately almost everyone uses "river cane" as a generic term for most cane used for arrows and river cane is the least appropriate native cane for arrows. River cane grows to 15' tall and about 3/4" in diameter so only the top portion of the culm is used for arrows. It has thin walls with a large center hole and very pronounced nodes and sulcus. It will make an arrow but it is my least favorite of the 3 natives canes.
I make my cane arrows from hill cane. It grows along the creek that runs through our property. As far as I'm concerned hill cane is the best native cane for arrows and is what the Native Americans here in the Southern Appalachian Mountains used for their arrows. They used river cane also but mostly for their double woven baskets, blow guns and construction. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:53:39 pm »
Todd, ironically, the genus of the 3 native canes in the US is Arundinaria, A. gigantia(river cane), A. tecta(switch cane) and A. appalachiana(hill cane). Unfortunately almost everyone uses "river cane" as a generic term for most cane used for arrows and river cane is the least appropriate native cane for arrows. River cane grows to 15' tall and about 3/4" in diameter so only the top portion of the culm is used for arrows. It has thin walls with a large center hole and very pronounced nodes and sulcus. It will make an arrow but it is my least favorite of the 3 natives canes.
I make my cane arrows from hill cane. It grows along the creek that runs through our property. As far as I'm concerned hill cane is the best native cane for arrows and is what the Native Americans here in the Southern Appalachian Mountains used for their arrows. They used river cane also but mostly for their double woven baskets, blow guns and construction.
Thanks!  I would dearly love to find a photo of each stalk.  Be a great addition to Bamboo arrow university. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:51:31 pm »
I can send you pics of hill cane, Arundinaria appalachiana. It only grows here in the Southern Appalachian Mountains and like I said along the creek that runs through our property. Switch cane A. tecta, grows all over the South and Southeast as does river cane, A. gigantia. Should I send the pics to your website?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 05:51:11 am »
Ill send pics of rivercane.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 05:59:24 am »
I can send you pics of hill cane, Arundinaria appalachiana. It only grows here in the Southern Appalachian Mountains and like I said along the creek that runs through our property. Switch cane A. tecta, grows all over the South and Southeast as does river cane, A. gigantia. Should I send the pics to your website?
Please send whatever you think is helpful to todd@khansarrows.com.   I can see that I'm going to need to add a new section to Bamboo arrow university.  Much appreciate it.

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 05:20:27 am »
I received a dozen 50-55 spine Tonkin cane shafts from Khan's arrows yesterday for my selfbow. They are sweet! At 1st glance they looked like carbon shafts! Very straight and very consistent in diameter and taper.  I tapered the nock end with a 5/16 hand taper tool and it cut them well with no splintering. I am going to bare shaft a couple to match them to my broadhead weight.

I am going to add some weight in the front to increase the FOC by drilling and gluing a think oak dowel inside. I will post pics when I get some taken. Over all very pleased with their quality!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 07:51:09 am »
I would love to see how you put more weight up front.  This is an an excellent idea.  Please take photos?  This is exactly why I started bamboo arrow university.  I want archers and other arrow makers to be successful with high quality bamboo and know the difference!  This is so encouraging to read and I can't wait to see the outcome.  Thanks for the great comment. 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 08:49:05 am »
I received a dozen 50-55 spine Tonkin cane shafts from Khan's arrows yesterday for my selfbow. They are sweet! At 1st glance they looked like carbon shafts! Very straight and very consistent in diameter and taper.  I tapered the nock end with a 5/16 hand taper tool and it cut them well with no splintering. I am going to bare shaft a couple to match them to my broadhead weight.

I am going to add some weight in the front to increase the FOC by drilling and gluing a think oak dowel inside. I will post pics when I get some taken. Over all very pleased with their quality!
I would love to see how you put more weight up front.  This is an an excellent idea.  Please take photos?  This is exactly why I started bamboo arrow university.  I want archers and other arrow makers to be successful with high quality bamboo and know the difference!  This is so encouraging to read and I can't wait to see the outcome.  Thanks for the great comment. 

maybe an article in the PA magazine is in order?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:15:25 am »
I like it.

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 04:08:26 pm »
Not sure what size this nail is yt it fits snugly inside the shaft. I cut the head off the coat the nail with a little duco cement and push it in flush after tapering.
Helps with FOC and strength I would say.

I tried a Zwickey delta and a 125 gr field tip on the bare shaft. Ended up going heavier though with a grizzly that weighs 155 gr. Good flight.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 04:18:24 pm »
The Tonkin is very thin and smooth. I used a 5/16 taper tool. I did manage to break one and crack another but fully believe that it was due to the nock high flight at the time and the angle and hardness of the foam I was using as a target. I don't feel that any arrow except maybe a carbon would have survived.

The thiness of the shaft also makes aligning your tip a little more difficult. With a little work it can be done. A little extra hot glue helps also to fill the gap. These are 50-55 shafts.

Here are some pics. You can see the angle of the foam and add the nock high flight it was bound to be rough. The back side of that foam is extremely stiff.

Below is a 50-55 spine Tonkin arrow(left) and a Cedar arrow(right) pictured side by side.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:25:55 pm by razorsharptokill »
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 10:02:45 pm »
The nail idea is a good idea.  I use these instead.  They add strength to the front of the shaft, and are easy to pull from a target.  It's all I shoot anymore...  They come in 100, 125, 145, 160 and 195 grain hand forged high carbon steel...matched.  The guy who makes these is quite the artist.  But he doesn't speak much English.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:06:01 pm by Todd Mathis »