Author Topic: Micro serrations vs larger serrations for hunting?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Micro serrations vs larger serrations for hunting?
« on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:32 am »

Knapped this guy last night and may mount it to a shaft this evening.  I’ve watched Ryan Gills video on sharpening points.  It may take me years before I can do what he does. Do you guys thinks micro serrations produce edges that are good enough to hunt with?  The larger serrations on one side of my point are pretty darn sharp and I’m confident that with adequate penetration will take a whitetail.  I’m wondering if the larger serrations hinder penetration vs very small serrations? 

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Micro serrations vs larger serrations for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 07:15:11 pm »
I asked Ryan Gill on a video before. Your serrations need to be big enough to cause a faster bleed out but not too the point where it hinders penetration too much. There’s a balance. You also want pointier serrations.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 06:57:27 am »
My 2 cents...you are 99% there.  I’d go in with a needle sharp point and touch up the teeth and make the tip just a little pointier.  The only question I’d have is point size. 

I always sorta squirm when people knap dull points and want to hunt them.  That’s a good looking point and seems likely appropriate for hunting.  If you were to sweep it across your finger would it cut?  That’s what I ask myself...
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
I try to keep serrations as small as possible so as to not grab hide, because the big ones will... if I can run it across a mag and it cuts paper with out hardly any pressure ..its sharp enough...this is way sharper than any head I have ever found.. granted they been in ground a few hundred years... but ..just sayin..gut...