Author Topic: Backing Strip Q  (Read 3213 times)

Offline simk

Backing Strip Q
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:12:02 pm »
Hi All

Would YOU PERSONALLY use this (ash-)backing strip? I'm a little unsure...

Thanks for your expertise  ;D

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Backing Strip Q
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:00 pm »
How does the grain run on the rest of the piece? If it is straight and you can eliminate that(those) runoffs it should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »
looks good to me.. only backing strip blew on me had a pin knot mid limb... and thats where she blew... if grain is holding like in pic should be fine

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:50:04 pm »
Thank^s alot Pat B & Gutpile!
Pat: The rest of the piece is absolutely flawless. Still: Eliminating this run offs is difficult - Sure I will reduce witdth on the limb a bit on that spot but there will only be new runoffs created with that grain-pattern..!? I will also round the edges. But it still will be in the middle of the working section. I just rememberd a bow of Del's blowing-off bow on a similar problem not long time ago....

Not to forget: I have another backing strip, 1000% perfect

Cheers 
--- the queen rules ----

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »
that run off isn't bad at all.. when you reduce width to limb profile you're going to have run off no matter what.. should be fine IMO... good luck..gut

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:29:57 pm »
Where would the wiggle be in the bow? One of the advantages of a spliced bow is that it gives you the opportunity to cut your backing strip in half and maybe position the questionable part in the tip or grip.

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:40:33 pm »
Thank you DC: It will be in the main bending zone of a d/r angular bow - still in the deflex part i think. I didnt plan to splice as all my pieces are full length. If I did splice I could move the wiggle to the outer limb (but still bending zone) which for sure would be a lot less problematic. Still, my appetite for cutting and splicing again is not too big - I'd rather use my better backing on this one and then cut new ones. Would YOU put that wiggle in the main bending zone?  ;D   
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 02:27:29 pm »
Just to clarify, you don't have to necessarily splice the bow, you could just splice the backing. Would I use it? Unfortunately I have no experience with Ash. If it was Maple, yeah, I'd give it a go. I would try to squeeze over to the right hand side(second pic). How wide is it?

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 02:53:23 pm »
thanks Don. I never spliced  ;D the wood is 46mm wide and the bow on that particular spot the bow will be approx 38-40mm wide. still I think this piece of wood deserves the best possible backing (changed my mind). why use No2 when you have a much better (-; 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:57:55 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 03:05:29 pm »
If that grain wiggle would end up in the bending portion of the limb, I would not use it.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 05:18:34 pm »
What's the grain doing on the side of the strip at the same point?

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 01:44:21 am »
This is the problem with quarter sawn wood. The grain violation doesn't look too bad but that is a game ender. Go and read the section about selecting boards in the TBB (vol 2?). If choosing quarter sawn wood you must make certain that the lines run dead straight because even a little meander signifies quite severely cut fibers.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 02:47:28 am »
That's fine unless you are making a 100# flight bow.  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 01:55:45 am »
What was the shape of that tree before the board was cut Del?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 02:24:58 am »
What was the shape of that tree before the board was cut Del?
Straight...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.