Author Topic: Truck tents  (Read 4031 times)

Offline DLH

Re: Truck tents
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 07:04:21 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas and advice glad I asked first. I forgot about cots I’ve slept on them at a camp a few summers they are nice for sure. I checked that outback out too Chris I think you have me convinced looks nice especially with kids. Since you haven’t opened yours might want to consider parting ways with it :). Anyone one have preferred cots or they all the same? If all goes well I’m gonna test it out late next month and again at Marshall.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 07:09:51 pm »
I slept on a folding walmart camping cot for 3 months, until the frame started to bend from always putting my weight on one spot as I got in and out. I doubt you will log as many nights in one as I have, so I'd recommend that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:30 pm »
Cots are neat with foam - tents are great with a center pole for getting up, not so great when trying to get up of an air mattress with no base!  I think Wally World has an expandable base bed for about a C note. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 11:10:09 pm »
Like my cot to be well off the ground ... makes it easier to tie the shoes.   ::)     :o     ::)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 06:24:45 am »
I like the over size cots, more room to wiggle. I think I bought Cabela's brand on super sale for about $50 per. They are heavy duty and sturdy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 03:39:28 pm »
The best cot I've slept on is a military surplus cot with a foam piece under my sleeping bag.

But, be sure and set it in the sun to warm a little because it can be really tough stretching enough to get the ends set. But when you do there is no sag.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 05:10:40 pm »
The best cot I've slept on is a military surplus cot with a foam piece under my sleeping bag.

But, be sure and set it in the sun to warm a little because it can be really tough stretching enough to get the ends set. But when you do there is no sag.

I have a old military surplus cot to. It is very comfortable
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 11:33:19 am »
I like hammocks
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 12:16:39 am »
I remember those wood frame "army cots" - usually a real pain to set up, but we normally left them up a week or more!  Harder than heck to pack on a special ops type mission, though!  But that was many years back!  As SGM, I got to choose the softest rocks for me and the "old man", I.e., the commander.  Throw out the foam pad, sleep, load up, beat feet, eat on the run, repeat!  Little Fiddle Woman just doesn't seem to understand the joys of sleeping on rocks - come to think about it, neither do I! (lol) (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 11:21:56 am »
I remember those wood frame "army cots" - usually a real pain to set up, but we normally left them up a week or more!  Harder than heck to pack on a special ops type mission, though!  But that was many years back!  As SGM, I got to choose the softest rocks for me and the "old man", I.e., the commander.  Throw out the foam pad, sleep, load up, beat feet, eat on the run, repeat!  Little Fiddle Woman just doesn't seem to understand the joys of sleeping on rocks - come to think about it, neither do I! (lol) (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer

That was a great reply. Lol, thanks for that!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 08:10:09 pm »
Ah, to be young and dumb again...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 12:44:57 am »
Young!!??, heck, I was 34 when I went to jump school!  I was the oldest guy to graduate!  Dumb?  Well there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane - they are only good to get you to the drop zone, so you can get out before they crash!  Had a retired AF LTC who flew C130s tell me he thought we were crazy for jumping out of his "perfectly good airplane" - then one day, he had to get the heck out before if crashed!  Then he knew why we jumped! >:D (lol)!  On the other hand, "Puff, the Magic Dragon" had lots of friends on the ground.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 07:02:02 am »
I have never had the "opportunity" to jump out of an airplane.  I'm glad there are guys like you out there who do.  I was just reminiscing about the old days when I used to actually sort of enjoy sleeping on a rock.   ;D

My dad served in Viet Nam, and he says there was always a lot of relief, and even some smiles, when they heard that Puff was on the way.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour