Author Topic: Sous vide meats smoker  (Read 5996 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Sous vide meats smoker
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:51:04 pm »
Meats, meets? Whatever.

If you are not familiar, "sous vide" cooking involves packaging the food in a vacuum bag and immersing in warm water for a longer period. Steaks are held in a warm bath about 135 degrees for up to 6 hours and than are flash seared at super high temps at the last moment.

Long and low temps lends tenderness and the hard searing g heat at the end creates that delicious crust on a steak.

So I bought an inch and a half thick chuck roast with nice marbling. I salted it last night, sprinkled a little soy sauce and garlic powder before wrapping in wax paper in the fridge overnight.

Come morning I put applewood in the smoker, filled the water pan, and set the temp at 140 degrees. I smoked the chuck roast for 4 hours at 140F and then lowered it to 120 for 3 more hours. The meat developed a nice bark of smoke.

When the baked potatoes and winter squash were done, I heated a cast iron skillet to the smoke point with olive oil and dropped the thicc jazz chuck steak in the pan. Two minutes, flipped, and 2 more minutes in the hot oil.

The steak (once a roast) rested in a warm oven for ten minutes before carving. The result was juicy, super flavorful, and decently tender (it's a chuck, for crying out loud after all, not a tenderloin). 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Sous vide meats smoker
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 07:52:57 pm »
Man up. Meat sweats are man-datory.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:56:40 pm »
Nothing better than a well cooked steak. Well cooked but not cooked well. I like mine med rare.  -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:48:24 am »
I like the look of it! i dont really like mine rare as im afraid that i might not cook it right so i do well done but that i would love to eat! good job!  (=) -C-
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 10:40:24 am »
That looks very delicious!  Deer hunter, we got to work on your culinarily
expertise!  You can use a meat thermometer to judge”doneness”,  about 140f
for rare, 170 for well done!  Of course, to each his own, and I do wild meat to
about medium well but still juiced.  But I chefed in steakhouses for a while, and ama bit
biased.  >:D -C- (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 03:26:21 pm »
The Leftovers were dice find last night, placed in a pot with broth, carrots, potatoes, onions, celery and brought to a simmer. It sat on the back of the stove for 5 hours. This morning I reheated the pots and added pearl barley. That's got another hour of simmering, now I have what must be the world's best beef barley soup with that rich hint of smokiness.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 04:37:22 pm »
A good steak and soup. Can't go wrong.. Good eats.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano