Author Topic: New boots  (Read 3142 times)

Offline sleek

New boots
« on: October 24, 2019, 11:06:37 pm »
Just broke down and bought me a much needed pair of leather work boots. Brand name is Cody James. I wear a size 10 tennis shoe  and bough the same size boot. I tried on a 9.5 but it felt like it was crushing my metatarsal bones even though they fit length wise. I wore these for an hour in the store to be darn certain the $200 O was gonna spend was going to serve me well for a t least a year. Ive been in them for two hours at work and now my heel is rubbing the back of these boots and causing pain, my heel slips up the back about half an inch each time I take a long stride. How do I save these so I'm not thinking I just wasted 200 bucks? I cant afford to buy a different pair.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: New boots
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:08:43 am »
That's why I've been buying steel toe boots from Redwing for over thirty years. I wear out a pair a year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:47:45 am »
No real suggestions on how to save them--I'm sure that blister pads and thick socks have occurred to you--but i feel for you!  Sounds like they're just a badly fitted bood.  I don't wear boots for my work, but I have had a terrible time finding hiking/hunting boots that work with my weird feet.  Hope you can figure something out.  It stinks forking out that kind of money for something that doesn't work right.
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 08:32:53 am »
Sounds like you should have gone with the 9.5's and just broken them in. You probably already know this, but with the thick socks you also want to wear a pair to thin cotton socks under them.  I'd also try are new insoles, get the ones with good arch support. That should reduce the amount of wiggle room. If that doesn't work I'd try adding a piece of leather inside as a shim and possibly heat molding them.
Trevor

Offline Lefty38-55

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 08:37:11 am »
New boots, especially those made of leather, need to be properly broken in slowly, by wearing them 1-/ hours a day and gradually going longer.

Some friends I know (all Contractors) who were the old Bean boots (which used to have a lifetime replacement guarantee) would wet the boot, let it dry some, then walk around in it for an hour each day ...

A few of them too now, have switched to Red Wings.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:40:49 am »
You could try a arch support insole like DR Shoal.
 I always bought Wolverines whick were completely comfortable from the first time I put them on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 10:40:49 am »
Try wearing a thicker sock. i'm in my boots sometimes up to 16 hours and I've always wore a hockey sock I buy from Redwing, also.

Pat, I've always like the comfort of Wolverines but never could get them to last as long as the Redwings. My feet are in a tough environment all day.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 12:41:43 pm »
When I was doing landscape work I was going through a pair of Wolverines every 12 to 18 months.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 01:11:11 am »
You just need to break them in. I wear justin original work boots. Lace up. They are great work boots with the comfort system. definitely worth the 175.00. My last pear lasted me 5 years, till my feet grew an inch. I had to go up to 13. But the boots still had lots of life left in them.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 08:00:47 am »
Try using duct tape directly on your skin starting under your heel and up over the tendon on the back of your foot as high as the pain goes.  Use quality tape not the cheap stuff.  An old wildland firefighter trick.  I always carry a small hand rolled, around a dowel, roll of duct tape when doing hard trail hiking or long distance walking/backpacking.  Works over blisters also.  Also agree with buying a quality pair of insoles with good arch support.  Best ones come from a running shop and can cost several 10's of $$ but absolutely worth the extra expense.  They will last through several pairs of footwear.  Hope that helps.