Author Topic: Does compression straightening affect spine?  (Read 7881 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Does compression straightening affect spine?
« on: October 26, 2019, 01:02:09 pm »
Subject line says it, pretty much.  My chosen method of straightening a stubborn shaft is to roll it on a table until the high part of the warp is on top, then rub it a few times with a bottle, mason jar, or smooth stone.  This takes bends out of POC like a dream, and it works pretty well on sitka too.  My understanding is that it compresses the top, longer fibers (a lot like what a sinew backing does on a bow), pulling the shaft into alignment.

Since I'm all into tuning at the moment, I'm wondering if this technique affects the spine at all.  My guess (and hope) is no, since you still have the same amount of fiber.  Anybody with a spine tester ever done a before-and-after?  If so I'd be interested.
Thomas

p.s.  I'm really going to have to just suck it up and buy or make a spine tester, at some point...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

Re: Does compression straightening affect spine?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 01:31:30 pm »
They are really easy to make. Get to it. I made mine from junk around the shop. But I do have a lot of junk ;D ;D Start with this http://bambooarrow.com/dialface.gif

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 04:28:14 pm »
It may affect the spine on the compressed side but depending on the orientation of the compression side it may not matter. If possible you want the stiff side of the arrow against the bow and secondarily against the shelf or at least the under side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 05:04:34 pm »
Makes sense, thanks.  DC, yep, yep, yep.  I need yet another project for this winter to keep me busy until I get my deer hide back, whack a coyote or two, and can start sewing a new quiver...  (lol)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:21:25 pm »
That's the problem with organic material,  the stiffness is never the same 360dg. and varies from shaft to shaft.   Even if you are the best Archer arrows with variance can affect the grouping. 
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
That's the problem with organic material,  the stiffness is never the same 360dg. and varies from shaft to shaft.   Even if you are the best Archer arrows with variance can affect the grouping.

Well, good.  Always good to have something to blame when I miss.   (lol)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Strelets

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 12:56:55 pm »
I use either ash or tulipwood (American poplar) for arrow shafts. I straighten them by heating over a gas flame and bending over the base of my thumb, then laying them on a flat surface while they cool. I have measured the stiffness before and after this process. It does not affect the spine, at least not within the limits of accuracy of measurement. And yes, you do have to mark the shaft so that you measure on the same axis each time.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 02:50:53 pm »
we use a compression straightener to do all of our shafts, but it has a concave surface that matches the diameter of the shaft- prevents any flat spots on the finished shaft.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 04:04:48 pm »
we use a compression straightener to do all of our shafts, but it has a concave surface that matches the diameter of the shaft- prevents any flat spots on the finished shaft.
Good idea.  I'm not sure if it matters to flight, but if nothing else it would look a lot better. 

Edit:  By the way, is this Wayne or Neil?  I'm about to place an order from you guys!  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline TSA

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:43:19 pm »
hi
 this is wayne ;D
Neil works for us as admin and order processing, the idea is to give me more time to design and build all the machinery this industry is so hungry for! (f) and keep the shop crew in good stead!

you can get a good roller straightener from  ace broadheads, its all aluminum, and i find the groove a tad shallow, but its a very good little unit
one other project we have been working on is, commercializing  our straightener,
 we already make our own, with yew wood handles ( warmer and prettier), but need to make a bunch for inquiries we keep getting.
this may inspire me to finish up the parts for a batch ;D.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 11:11:21 pm »
Put my order in for the first run!  Glad to see you survived the modifications to the operation!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:46:34 am »
hi
 this is wayne ;D
Neil works for us as admin and order processing, the idea is to give me more time to design and build all the machinery this industry is so hungry for! (f) and keep the shop crew in good stead!

you can get a good roller straightener from  ace broadheads, its all aluminum, and i find the groove a tad shallow, but its a very good little unit
one other project we have been working on is, commercializing  our straightener,
 we already make our own, with yew wood handles ( warmer and prettier), but need to make a bunch for inquiries we keep getting.
this may inspire me to finish up the parts for a batch ;D.

Hi, Wayne.  Sign me up along with Jerry!  Feel free to shoot me a prototype along with my sitka shafts, if you must.  ha ha  I've thought about the Ace straightener; it seems a little pricey for a job that can be cone with a glass jar or a smooth rock...that, and I'm an incredibly cheap person.  Blame my Scottish ancestry...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24:43 pm »
Wayne,
Pm sent?
Jerry
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:32:46 pm »
How do the rollers work?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TSA

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 11:28:37 pm »
certainly for coniferous tree shafts, for hardwoods heat first then use the roller or other preferred method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhYWRX2KlE