Author Topic: Hill cane au natural  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Hill cane au natural
« on: October 27, 2019, 02:42:16 pm »
I sent Todd from Khans Arrows a few pics of hill cane growing, harvested and bundled(seasoned) and one of my hunting arrows, along with a little info about hill cane.
Here are a few pics of Hill Cane(Arundaneria appalachiana), a native US cane(bamboo) that grows only in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. It is also the only deciduous native cane.
These pics are hill cane growing on our property here in Transylvania County NC. The pic with the dogs in it shows smaller hill cane not big enough for arrows. Hill cane grows to about 7' under the right conditions. Also I've added pics of harvested and seasoned hill cane, in a bundle of 15 culms, a single raw culm and one of my finished hill cane hunting arrow. This arrow is hafted with a single edge trade point made by PA member "Little John". The point is hafted with pine pitch glue and wrapped with deer backstrap sinew. The self nock also has a sinew wrap as does the forward end of the turkey feather fletching. All sinew wraps are sealed with pine pitch varnish.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

Re: Hill cane au natural
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »
Hill cane is one of my all time favorite shaft material Pat. Thanks for turning me on to it! You get penetration plus with these shafts. Couple of my best hill cane arrows are lost in the woods from pass-throughs...…..Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 03:48:02 pm »
Art, that bundle above can be yours for the asking.  ;)  Cut last winter.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 03:54:53 pm »
Thanks for the offer Pat. I'm no longer able to build and shoot bows so I have no need for arrow material anymore. Kind of you to offer though...….Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 04:38:37 pm »
Sorry to hear you can no longer shoot or build arrows. You taught me all I know about building cane and sourwood shoot arrows. Hopefully I can pass it on the way you did.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 05:47:47 pm »
im sorry to hear that Art! i have the binder Pat gave me and your articles and pictures really helped me on making my trade arrow! it turned out great and my recipient said their taking it hunting!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 06:00:51 am »
It's a hard thing to have to give up something you truly love to do Deerhunter. But time marches on...…

Even though I can't shoot or hunt with a selfbow anymore I still enjoy helping those that are willing to learn and put in the effort. Keep your feathers dry...……..Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:16:00 am »
I have a bow and arrows displayed from you mister Butner. Even though you threatened to whoop me if I didn't hunt that arrow :). Aint happenin' my friend. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:51:03 am »
..……..and that is why you only have one bow and one arrow of mine Pearly (wink wink).

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 08:12:47 pm »
It's a hard thing to have to give up something you truly love to do Deerhunter. But time marches on...…

Even though I can't shoot or hunt with a selfbow anymore I still enjoy helping those that are willing to learn and put in the effort. Keep your feathers dry...……..Art

Glad you still take time to contribute. Thanks

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »
That looks like what we call river cane here in Oklahoma.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 05:23:09 pm »
What you have, Jim, might be switch cane. Both hill cane and switch are very similar and only grow to about 7' but of the two only hill cane grows in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. River cane grows to 15' or more and is about 3/4" in diameter.
What you have could also be one of the Asian exotic canes that were introduced into the US many years ago and are pretty prolific.
The tern "River Cane" seems to have become a generic name for most cane used for arrows these days.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 06:57:49 pm »
I enjoyed working with switch cane. Very easy to straighten and made an awesome shooting arrow. Physical weight was light along with max dynamic spine of around 45# or so.....Art