Author Topic: Now this is a real eye opener for me!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Todd Mathis

Now this is a real eye opener for me!
« on: October 29, 2019, 11:33:58 am »
I would love to get some close ups of this kind of trade point and sinew work just to learn.  I would dearly love to hear how they fly when hunting.  Lastly,  That long narrow head...do those fly better than the usual shape?  I hear some people complain of "planeing" with broad heads.  Does this shape help with that?  This is very very cool to look at.  Gotta get to a shoot where some of you guys are so I can see these up close.  Thanks Pat! 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Now this is a real eye opener for me!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 11:40:10 am »
If broad heads are planing the bow/arrow aren't tuned. A well tuned rig has no clue what's on the end of the shaft. The 3:1 shape has been commonly accepted as the best penetrating head.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 12:01:07 pm »
Todd, that arrow weighs 610gr, is 27" behind the point, about 3/8" at the point end and about 5/16" at the self nock. If I remember correctly the point is very heavy, maybe 195gr. The arrow flies well for me and the heavy weight forward helps with that.
I like using pitch glue and sinew wrap. If the point comes loose or otherwise gets out of alignment I just heat the point enough to soften the pitch glue, adjust the head until the arrow spins true on my finger tip and let the pitch glue cool.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 02:01:24 pm »
Those single beveled trade points will slice through game just as well as any head on the market. Mounted on cane or bamboo shafts and you have an arrow that hits hard and penetrates deep.  Field tested...…..Art