Author Topic: Bow hand glove recommendation  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Pete Noto

Bow hand glove recommendation
« on: October 27, 2019, 04:39:34 pm »
Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a quality leather bow hand glove/guard (I'm a lefty so a right-hand glove).  I'd prefer more of a guard that just covers the pointer finger and as I'd like as much of my bow hand uncovered and unencumbered as possible.

I'm hoping to retrain two of my dad's old self bows (I have a post on it in the bow section) neither of which have shelves.  I've also been slicing myself up pretty good shooting a Great Northern Fireball R/D longbow that has a shallow shelf.  I fletch with 5.5 shields and also shoot quite a few flu-flus and normally end up dripping blood ever session which  I'd prefer to avoid.

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Pete

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow hand glove recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 04:49:55 pm »
3Rivers Archery sells shooting gloves but I can't recommend one specifically. I can suggest a couple of remedies for protecting your hand. One is to add a thread wrap on the forward end of the fletching to smooth out that transition and the other is adding a floppy rest. A floppy rest is a simple floppy arrow rest that is between your hand and the arrow. If I can locate the pic I'll post the instructions I got from Mickie Lotz, the inventor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 05:24:05 pm »
Here is the floppy rest instructions. It's a strip of soft weather glued to the side of the bow and acts like a soft strike plate and arrow rest. The lower portion goes under the handle wrap. I use contact cement to attach it to my bows. Since I started using it I haven't had a bloody hand from arrow strikes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lefty38-55

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 05:46:52 pm »
I too am a lefty and use the bow-hand glove made by White Feather, which can be found on eBay. Quality workmanship and very soft, supple leather. I don’t mind it wraps some of the hand, but I bet it could be easily trimmed to just cover the top of juncture from thumb ‘V’ to index finger.

Offline Pete Noto

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 06:34:55 pm »
Lefty38-55, do you have a link?  I tried searching eBay and had no luck finding White Feather.

Offline Pete Noto

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 06:37:31 pm »
nevermind...found it :-)

Offline Pete Noto

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 10:57:43 pm »
Thanks for the plans Pat B. I might give that a go in one of the bows...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 11:49:13 am »
You can cut down an old soft leather work glove to suit your hand, as well!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry