Author Topic: Instinctive shooting  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Instinctive shooting
« on: October 30, 2019, 08:54:36 am »
I am shooting my bow and im really wanting to shoot instinctive. I know there's nothing wrong with aiming but I would rather learn instinctive. I dont even know if im shooting instinctive or if im aiming. Im not using a gap or anything but i am placing the tip where i think it should go and then at where im shooting. so my question is how do you learn to shoot instinctive?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Instinctive shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:09:22 am »
Hey, DH! 

Step one is to develop consistency in your form.  For that, I would recommend the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera.  The amount of information can be a bit overwhelming (it's basically a textbook on competitive target shooting), but Camera can help you get your form squared away.  I'm not a huge fan of G. Fred Asbell's books, but his "instinctive shooting" series has a lot of good, basic info on how to stand, using the back muscles instead of the arms, and so on, and his stuff is more geared toward bow hunting.  Also check out the "Masters of the Barebow" DVD series for some good basics on how to practice and such.

Do a lot of blind-bale shooting (shooting up close, not worrying about hitting a spot; just thinking about your form) to get your form completely under control.

Once you've got the basics of form nailed, I highly recommend the book "Instinctive Archery Insights" by R.J. Kidwell.  I don't much care for his style of writing--he sort of liked to string the reader along for a few pages before he got to the point--but for me, he really demystifies and breaks down the mental and physical processes that are (or should be) happening for a good, consistent, instinctive shot.  Work your way through that book and practice, practice, practice.

Clay Hayes' videos (look him up on youtube) have some great info on most of the above.  He is more of a gap shooter.

But don't worry too much about "am I aiming or shooting instinctive?"  I think most good shooters find some combination of the two that works for them.  Even some of the guys who say "I never see the arrow" have proven in experiments that they actually do see it; it's just subconscious.

As you run into specific problems, post them on here and you'll get more help than you know what to do with!

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:12:30 am by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:35:21 am »
WB has the right idea, get your form correct first and try to avoid bad habits.  Don't try for a "group", but put each arrow in the spot you are looking at - a multi-bull target helps here, blind bale shooting helps a lot. Try hunting rabbits, usually there isn't time to aim!  Post your problems, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »
if you lower you anchor to more of a Native style form,, it will force you to shoot more instinctive,,
you can always shoot with a more aiming traditional form as well,,

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 03:23:28 pm »
In Fred Bears Archers Bible he described instinctive shooting well and briefly.
The basis is a good technique with always the same procedures and then memorizing the different distances, so that  the hand eye coordination perfects itself - in other words practice, practice, practice and practice again.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 03:33:35 pm »
thats a good point about the rabbit hunting,, not having time to aim will make you shoot a bit more instinctive,,the best shots I ever shot with,, could do both,, well,,

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 06:06:14 pm »
Another important factor:  Once your form is consistent, practice at different ranges, paying attention to the arc of your arrow.  I agree about rabbit hunting, too. Great fun, great practice, and great in the pot or frying pan!
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 12:32:45 am »
if you lower you anchor to more of a Native style form,, it will force you to shoot more instinctive,,

Good point Brad..Thats how i learned and when i took archery back up after a few year layoff,i read everything i could about more modern styles and tried to implement that into my shooting..it worked so so for a while and then things started to go south on me bad..Went back to the way i started and things started coming back..Never did like,or get used to my string hand,being up in my face..The best shot i ever made intentionally,was using a lower native style form... I am not going to win any Olympic medals with it,but thats not my interest or intent..It works well for what i do with a bow..