Author Topic: Avoiding sawdust  (Read 3538 times)

Offline zoomer

Avoiding sawdust
« on: October 28, 2019, 11:19:26 pm »
So I've heard about the hazards of sawdust/wood dust. What do you do for dust control in your shop? Has anyone of the older guys developed any respiratory problems and/or significantly decreased their lung capacity because of working with wood/making bows for many years?

Offline chamookman

Re: Avoiding sawdust
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:26:59 am »
I was a long-time smoker, and ate ALOT of Osages dust over the Years. I now have COPD, and the Docs said the Dust helped with My problem. Wear a Mask Folks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 09:13:29 am »
After about 15 years of osage dust exposure I became allergic to the stuff, I was already allergic to walnut dust. At first I would get slight hay fever symptoms, this progressed into full blown watery eyes and stopped up nose and sinuses over the years. It finally got so bad I have to wear a cartridge respirator if I work on bows, naturally this apparatus takes a lot of the enjoyment out of wading into an osage stave as it is hot and cumbersome. The paper dust masks just don't work for me, too much gets through them.

I have a complete dust collection system in my shop but it still lets the very fine stuff float around. I sand osage in front of a dust pickup port but still get enough without my mask to make me sick.

Almost everyone I know that is around dust year after year has some problems.

Protect yourself from the get go and you should be OK.

You can see my work station in this picture;

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:40:52 am »
Eric, does working outside solve the problem? I realise that's not always possible but at least you could get in a few days of unencumbered bow making. I know wearing a mask like that would be a deal breaker for me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 11:02:47 am »
I always have a mask on and I have a ceiling filtration system running. Protect your lungs. Like a lot of things we don't think they are bad for us until its too late. Humans have a tendency to ignore hazards that don't have immediate and direct effects.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 11:10:39 am »
I've developed the allergy to osage dust.  I pull a high power fan up just behind me on full blast when I'm sanding and blow everything out.  Generally I'll put a mask on, too.  It makes the difference with respiratory issues but the fine dust will even make my skin itch.  I try to do most of my "sanding" with a scraper.
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »
I use a scraper mostly, but I haven't been an intense bow maker or wood worker, also hook up a fan and open the garage door when warm enough.  Got a cartridge mask, but haven't used it yet, no sanding to do!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 03:37:27 pm »
I think I've become sensitised to Yew dust over the years. I am much more careful about wearing my (good quality) mask when sawing, sanding or sweeping up. I do have an extractor for the bandsaw/belt sander, but you can still see the dust in the air when the sun is shining in (about 3 days per year ;) )
I have no problem when using edged tools.
Del

BTW. Just found I'm allergic to stepladders collapsing under me  >:( ... just a few bruises and grazes  ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline zoomer

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:31:15 pm »
Thanks to everybody for the replies. This is helpful. Probably will make a cyclone with a bucket and a vacuum cleaner, and use a good mask (Most masks on the market are FFFP1, though).

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:42:30 pm »
Try a NOISH(?) Safety Products, inc., I think. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 02:28:36 am »
Gotta watch those Ladders Del  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 07:45:54 am »
Working outside helps but I still get dust in my clothes, I actually hold my breath when I pull off a yellow dusted tee shirt or the dust will get me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 05:29:49 am »
Don't really have a problem with it but my shop is outside under roof, I do very little sanding[mostly scrapper] and when I do it is mostly by hand, probably be better to wear a mask but so far I haven't, I do a lot on the band saw but it is outside also and unless the wind is dead I usually have a breeze or a fan blowing.  I would say if it worries you wear a mask would be the best idea. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 06:07:34 am »
I never seemed to have a problem with Ash, Elm or HHB. As much as I love Osage, it does some nasty things to me. I get some slight rashes around my shirt collar. Rasping and sanding are the worst. If I do much of either without a mask my sinuses will start bleeding. Usually just a cheap mask will be adequate. Like others I don't do a lot of sanding. I mostly use scrapper and I don't mind a few tool marks. I'm not trying to make it look like a machine made it. In my line of work I'm constantly subjected to many kinds of dust. We have a saying. You have to eat a gallon of dirt before you go. Pretty sure I did that many years ago. The newer equipment is much better. Like pearl said. We tend not to get worried about stuff that doesn't immediately effect us. Most likely none of it is good for us.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise