Author Topic: Need help with wood ID  (Read 7138 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Need help with wood ID
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 09:14:48 pm »
This is the entry one Sassafras from the Bow Woods List over at American Native Seeds.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 02:14:50 am »
It's is ash.
Walnut is diffuse porous - look at the end grain

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 07:03:27 am »
It doesn't look like ash bark to me.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 07:11:10 am »
Still, some Ash looks like that.

I'd lean towards that as a likely wood to actually be at a mill being slabbed like that.

Offline bassman

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 08:35:38 am »
I missed this one. The pic I posted with the 3 staves are as follows. Elm on the left, Walnut in the middle, and sassafras on the right. The ropy bark that comes to v's here ,and their is indicative of Walnut bark,  but his cross section shows it is not walnut. I have never cut an Ash tree to make a bow, but have made bows from Ash from Amish wagon wheel staves. Ignorance is bliss. My bad.Jay is trying to find a suitable wood to make a bow, and Ash will do that.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 10:37:46 am »
No worries Bass. I'm pretty sure on piece is ash and the other is Sass. I'm going to attempt a 60" gull out of the ash, and a long, wide meare heath from the better of the 2 sass staves.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 12:09:29 pm »
My thought was white ash. I don't have Sassafras. Been awhile since I've seen ash bark without bore holes in it. White Ash is pretty hard. I don't know about Sassafras.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 01:25:35 pm »
Round 2: Pecan or some other member of the hickory family, or something else entirely?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:58 pm »
Pignut possibly?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:39:09 pm by IrishJay »

bownarra

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 12:23:43 am »
Bark is only one fallible method of ID. :)

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 08:01:28 pm »
Finally cut a piece of the above wood, here are a couple endgrain pics. Tiny, densely packed pore in early growth. No pores in late growth. And the late growth rings are multiple times thicker than the early.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 09:38:48 pm »
Heres a better endgrain view from another cut. This stuff is considerably harder than ash. I'm thinking some species of hickory or possibly american hornbeam. Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2019, 10:59:40 am »
I've started working out a limb with draw knife on this wood, as I shave it down the layers of wood newly exposed are turning a distinct yellow. The longer theyre exposed to air the more yellow they get. I tried to get a pic but the combination of lighting in my garage and the poor camera on my phone the yellow really doesnt show up in the pics.

Is this yellowing indicative of any particular wood?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 07:22:37 am »
Just a guess but it looks like poplar to me.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2019, 09:04:09 am »
Eric, I appreciate the input, but based on the hardness I don't think its poplar. Its one of, if not the hardest woods I've worked with. Poplar is fairly soft isnt it?