Author Topic: Reducing spine on existing arrows  (Read 2643 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Reducing spine on existing arrows
« on: November 02, 2019, 07:07:39 pm »
Hi, all.  As some of you might remember, I recently figured out that my arrows were way overspined.  My previous bow (a 65# recurve with a shelf) used even heavier arrows, which don't fly worth crud from my selfbow.

This leaves me with a whole bunch of arrows that are too heavy for my current setup.  Sure they'd make great kindling, but I'd prefer to use them for their intended purpose.  Is there any practical way to shave/plane/whittle down the spine on already-fletched arrows?  I'm guessing the product wouldn't be worth the work, but asking doesn't cost anything.   ;)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reducing spine on existing arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »
You could sand the shafts to reduce the spine.  Chuck a shaft in an electric drill and run sandpaper up and down the shaft while running the drill. Check the spine often so you don't over do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 09:59:46 pm »
Keep a half dozen for the old bow if you still have it!  You wouldn't want it to feel entirely left out! (SH) >:D (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:33:05 pm »
as Pat says, sanding the middle third will reduce spine, but bear in mind- by leaving the tail fat, and inadvertently heavier, you will stiffen the dynamic spine slightly ;)

reducing weight on the rear will weaken dynamic spine, reducing fletch size, tapering the back 8", using a  smaller nock- no cresting or vinyl cap wraps etc. it makes a small but significant difference, or put more weight up front

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 07:43:26 am »
Interesting!  Putting the arrow in a power drill is a brilliant idea--I wouldn't have thought of that.  Wayne, If I do this, I'd probably just use the modified arrows for bunnies and stump shooting, so close enough is close enough.  I really, really need to make myself a spine tester, though.  Thanks for the info, gents!

Keep a half dozen for the old bow if you still have it!  You wouldn't want it to feel entirely left out! (SH) >:D (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Don't worry, Jerry, Thumper is my fishing bow since I got into self-bows.  It's a fiberglass/elm recurve that shoots those fish arrows like a cannon!  (or "Like Captain Ahab" as one of my friends said after he saw me take down a 25 pound carp)

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour