Author Topic: Arrow whiskers  (Read 2457 times)

Offline fiddler49

Arrow whiskers
« on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:51 am »
Arrow whiskers are like judo points but made from weed wacker string / . O95 inch dia. Tied around arrow shaft with special knot leaving 4 separate pieces of line about 3 to 4 inches long and equally spaced around shaft / they are snug fitting on shaft but can slide up with force / these keep target arrows from disappearing under grass,weeds,duff,snow but still stick into targets,stumps,logs,bumps,even small game and birds / you can slide whiskers up to fletching to carry in quiver and back out to point for shooting / you could even make these out of wild rose or other thin roots / I’ll post tutorial pics soon when I figure out how to cheers fiddler49

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Arrow whiskers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 06:41:04 am »
 Pics posted for "fidler49"   Here ya go mike..............Pics keep coming out sideways from email bud...
                                                                                                                                                       Don
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:47:10 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 06:44:43 am »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 06:45:08 am »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:06:07 am »
will it keep it from going under placed grass? i have a problem of shooting and then I miss and they go under my sod and i cant find them.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 12:22:35 pm »
Yes / that’s the whole reason for making these arrow whiskers

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:27 pm »
Yesssssssss!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »
Neat idea!  I see a "run" on bright colored weed whacker thread developing!  Pretty simple knot, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 01:32:44 pm »
Do they slow down the arrow much?  Like a flu flu?

Are they hard on fetching? 

We have weeds that grow pretty darn fast during our short wet season and these might really come in handy.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 08:04:28 pm »
They don’t go over fletching at all so no damage / They don’t slow arrow down very much but some depending how long you make whiskers / mine are 4 inches long but you can make them shorter / If the whiskers are not snug enough on shaft you can tie strong thin cord on to either side of square knot to increase friction / I use #30 tarred sine line tied in a constrictor hitch on feather side of square knot with extra length up over 2 whiskers to separate and evenly space the 4 whiskers going around arrow shaft in opposite directions a few times and finish with a square knot / I cut off excess sine line and put a dab of super glue on ends to keep cord from unraveling / this also keeps the whiskers from coming off arrow shaft when pulling back out of brush and dirt / You can make whiskers out of roots and runners like those of wild rose which are about the same diameter of weed wacker line. Very strong and flexible / that’s what the last photo is / work great / cheers fiddler49

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 08:23:53 pm »
Another quick note / I tried to make the photos self explanatory but for the sake of clarity / you have to heat up weed. Wacker line with a heat gun before you pull tight around arrow shaft / hold tight till plastic cools a bit / then slide off shaft and use a bit of medium super glue on the square knot to keep it tight / then slide back on to arrow shaft / don’t over heat the plastic line / I’ve used a Bick lighter to heat line but easy to mess up / you want the whiskers to be snug but not glued on / cheers fiddler49