Author Topic: Composite bow with long stiff riser?  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Chuck.e.b

Composite bow with long stiff riser?
« on: November 04, 2019, 01:19:15 pm »
Anyone make a composite bow with a longer stiff riser and fades to accommodate for string angle? The limbs bend the same amount as a shorter bow so horn and sinew still work. End result would be more the size and shape of a standard 64” recurve.

bownarra

Re: Composite bow with long stiff riser?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:41:09 am »
No, make the kasans/syhias longer instead.
Why do you think string angles need accommodating?
If the bow is designed right in the first place it won't stack. One of the main advantages of a composite is that they are short :)

Offline Chuck.e.b

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:31:45 am »
To accommodate my anchor points and shooting style. Finger pinch would be an issue as I’ll not be shooting with my thumb.

I mean this hasn’t been done? It basically just making a laminated recurve with sinew, wood, horn/antler. Didn’t the native Americans make composites too?

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:46 am »
Chuck, you are talking about the composite-long bow. Length of a longbow 60"+, very short strongly reflexed bending zone close to the handle reinforced with sinew and horn and long levers that also do little work. Historically the are also knows as Yrzi-Bows. If you are looking for special difficulties you do the levers reflexed. Core is a single piece stave. That way you combine the performance of composites with comfort of longbows.
I just started this project and I'm really hot on this one.
It's been done before: Look here for the bows of BowEd. Also Wogai did lot's of those - he really did lots of successful attempts and developped the style. On his german site you also find some pics of the building process (http://bogenbau-wogai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=171&Itemid=1329). Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Chuck.e.b

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 12:28:05 pm »
Simk thanks! Exactly what I’m looking for. After my next project going to start this one, time for research.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:29:23 pm »
With the levers on a short composite you don't get the finger pinch.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:25:40 am »
None of those bows have long stiff risers.....they have long stiff outer limbs ;)
Bear in mind that the accepted bow length to drawlength ratio is 1.6.
48 inch bow / 1.6 = 30 inch drawlength. You can stretch it a bit but why remake the mistakes of history ;)
the main thing people do wrong on their first composite is they make it far too long.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 01:26:20 am »
And what Loefflerchuck said :)

Offline Chuck.e.b

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
What is the downside to making one? Same amount of horn, tip length and rigidity, just longer fades. Is it just a horse thing?

I don’t get the finger pinch thing. If it’s there on a 60” recurve how would it not be there on a 48” composite? The string angle on the recurve is still bigger even with the long rigid siyah in composite.

Offline Chuck.e.b

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 11:00:30 am »
I basically want to build a reflex long bow out of horn, wood, and sinew. It will have rigid thin limb tips kinda like a siyah but all one piece.

Offline gorazd

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 01:52:20 pm »

As I understand ....  the composite construction of the horn/sinew does make more sense at stronger(smaller) bending radius of the limbs - when the limbs are shorter and thicker - and when any pure wood construction would fail.

Especialy on the compresion side (belly) of the bow - the horn is much stronger than any wood would be.

And it is not easy to find horn with enough length for covering the belly of the long bow ...  maybe australian water buffalo... or trying with oryx

I basically want to build a reflex long bow out of horn, wood, and sinew. It will have rigid thin limb tips kinda like a siyah but all one piece.

Offline simk

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 06:11:43 am »
Basically its a molly-concept with short main bending section close to handle. The horn section therefore is only max 15'' so no problem finding a horn plate that long.
--- the queen rules ----