Author Topic: Another shoot shaft attempt  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Another shoot shaft attempt
« on: November 04, 2019, 08:28:56 pm »
I saw a good tutorial that spoke my language and watched one of Gill's Hunt Primative vids that was also inspiring.

So I took the dog out and harvested 4 good wild rose shoots.  They're about 4 feet long right now.  My previous attempts have not ended well.  Wood dries too fast in my enviornment and my first attempt ended with about 90% splitting too far to be usable. 

My last attempt was with Apache plume, I got them all dry but I don't think I worked them enough when they were still green.  Heat straightening didn't work so well,  and they didn't stay straight.

Going ro leave the bark on for another week or two, then after I strip it off I'll oil or use shellac to slow down the drying and see how it goes.  I also sealed the ends with white wood glue right after cutting and stripping the thorns.

Got them pretty straight so far by working a few times a day for about a week now.  If this works out I know some areas where I can get more wild rose shoots.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Another shoot shaft attempt
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »
So far, so good!  I recommend removing the thorns before you try to shoot them, though.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:41:59 pm »
So far, so good!  I recommend removing the thorns before you try to shoot them, though.

I live on the wild side >:D
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 10:42:43 pm »
Like maybe armored gloves? >:D (lol). Not familiar with wild rose, but the red osier will dry cure in a a couple months, faster with he bark off.  Seems to take heat pretty well, too
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 12:49:45 am »
Am I the only one who shoots with steel gauntlets?  Geez, I thought everyone did that  :D

I've been on the lookout for red osier.  A map of growing locations look like it should be around or near me but so far I haven't turned up any.  It'd be nice if the map I saw was good enough resolution to get a better idea, but it just isn't happening.

The two shaft materials I've seen in museum pieces from the area are Apache plume and wax currant.  So maybe it isn't in the area after all.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 08:33:15 am »
The thorns wouldn't help your penetration much, I guess, but I bet they'd leave a great blood trail!  Sure would tear up your 3d targets, though.  And probably not do your hand much good, even with that steel bow glove you wear.  Better just remove 'em.

But seriously...those are nice looking shafts!  I don't see a lot of wild rose around here that's big enough.  I hear they make really nice arrows.  Red ossier is pretty easy to spot in the winter along creek bottoms, at least around here.  So if you had it in the area, I'd guess you'd know it.  Anyway, I'm impressed with how straight you've got those, and I hope they don't check on you.  Good work so far!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:38:13 am by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:51:45 am »

I've been on the lookout for red osier.  A map of growing locations look like it should be around or near me but so far I haven't turned up any.  It'd be nice if the map I saw was good enough resolution to get a better idea, but it just isn't happening.
Red Osier isn't always red. Around here it comes in green and red. Green seems to be in the shaded areas. I'm on the coast though. Learn to recognise Dogwood leaves.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 12:59:29 pm »
The creek bottoms and somewhat moist slopes are good?  The bark will turn red in winter if it gets a good frost, I think.  The leaves are opposite pairs, and offset 90 degrees with each pair, somewhat resembles cane at the nodes!  It might be available through a plant nursery as an ornamental shrub.  The other dogwoods are suitable, too
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 01:30:39 pm »
The creek bottoms and somewhat moist slopes are good?  The bark will turn red in winter if it gets a good frost, I think.  The leaves are opposite pairs, and offset 90 degrees with each pair, somewhat resembles cane at the nodes!  It might be available through a plant nursery as an ornamental shrub.  The other dogwoods are suitable, too
Hawkdancer

Is it toxic to a animals?  I'd consider growing it if the deer would leave it alone.  But then again, the deer ate my tomato plants to the ground.  If nightshades are on the menu, untill we get to building a proper fence I have to assume they'll eat anything except oregano thus far.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 11:14:39 pm »
Don't know about the toxicity, but hungry deer will eat almost anything!  Especially a lush garden in a desert!  There are some deer repellents available, but I don't know how well they work.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 12:19:48 am »
I have a repellent that works pretty good but it stinks like urine from a week old dead camel so I don't like to use it on anything we plan to eat.

I did collect 4 more wild rose shoots that are arrow shaft diameter, and 5 that are large diameter.  Wouldn't have thought wild rose could grow like this. The longest is about 3/4 inch at the base and 6.5 feet tall.  Don't know if I can trim them down to arrow diameter but might make good main shafts for atlatl darts if I can get them straight and dry without checking. 

-Homer Simpson-

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 06:21:59 am »

I live on the wild side >:D
You certainly would survive the zombie apocalypse though....

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 05:51:22 pm »

I was thinking fantasy arrows!  It would make about as much sense as some of the "fantasy swords" one sees for sale on the internet sometimes...

Our redtwig dogwood is usually nice and red, so it's easy to spot.  Not sure about the toxicity, but the inner bark is said to be a mild narcotic when smoked.  Can't say as I've ever tried it, but if you see your deer acting weirder than usual, you'll know why.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:29 pm »

I was thinking fantasy arrows!  It would make about as much sense as some of the "fantasy swords" one sees for sale on the internet sometimes...

Our redtwig dogwood is usually nice and red, so it's easy to spot.  Not sure about the toxicity, but the inner bark is said to be a mild narcotic when smoked.  Can't say as I've ever tried it, but if you see your deer acting weirder than usual, you'll know why.

Got to keep info that the redwig secret from the white man!  He'll figure out a away to tax it or abuse it! >:D (lol). I know that willow bark was (is) used in mixing kinnikinnick for smoking, so the redwig probably was too!  Mountain mahogany and river birch may also work for shoots.  Got to carry the plant id book on trips to the hills!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 02:32:08 pm »
I could see birch being good.  I've read that mountain mahogany is an excellent bow wood (Wyoming's Medicine Bow region, town, and forest are said to be named for the mahogany that grows there) but I've never seen a straight piece big enough to make an arrow, let alone a bow.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour