Author Topic: How long?  (Read 12709 times)

Offline dylanholderman

How long?
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:23:17 am »
hey guys. i'm thinking about working myself up to warbows, thinking of making a bow in the 70-90# range as my next step up, i have everything below that covered.
so how long would you recommend for a ELB style bow pulling 70-90# at 30'' draw?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:50:35 am »
I'd say 72-76" The advantage of going long is you can always cut off an couple of inches to gain weight if needed and it will also be a tad more forgiving.
Less than 72" is going to be likely to take some set, but may be a tad faster.
I'd start at 76" with an expectation of ending up at 74"
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:53:29 pm »
I'd glue up at 74 for a 73 ntn bow.

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 02:43:03 pm »
What Del said was spot on but wood choice will change that a bit as well. But most woods will do fine at that weight with 72'76" for draw length up to 32".

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:32 pm »
thanks guys  ;D
i went out and dug through my stash real quick tonight and here's what i have to work with.
red elm 76''~ with a side bend that needs to be dealt with.

black walnut 76'' little bit of prop twist otherwise pretty clean.( i had actually started this one a couple weeks ago when i was sick lol)

and two osage 80'' the skinny knarly one is actually the belly split off of the larger stave.

i'm leaning towards the walnut and then the elm, not sure how the walnut will do with a ELB design or the weight i'm shooting for but worst case  (--)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 01:30:33 am »
The Elm will do it, but I'd heat treat the belly.
I think Osage will do it without breakin' a sweat, and could prob go an inch or two shorter  ;D
I have no experience with the Walnut  :o
Del

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 08:16:15 am »
 Red Elm is pretty much at the bottom of the list for bow woods. walnut is not much better if not worse. If I went with the elm I would rough it out at about 76" and 1 3/8 wide for a 70# bow.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:09:48 am »
Thanks Steve I’ll rough out the elm and the walnut to the same length/width dimensions, it should be interesting to see what they are willing to give me.
What width would you recommend for the Osage, 1 1/8-1 1/4?

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 12:46:34 pm »
Heat treating the elm will move it up the list for ya. But yeah untreated elm bends like wet clay in a long bow design. I've seen walnut warbows before should be doable with a slightly relaxed cross section. Osage will make a warbow with a large splinter so I'd say you are set there.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 01:37:18 pm »
It sounds like there is a different between Red Elm and English Elm... my experience is only with English Elm.
Del

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 03:06:43 pm »
It sounds like there is a different between Red Elm and English Elm... my experience is only with English Elm.
Del

Red elm is used a a laminate in glass bows because it is attractive and very light weight. Not much good as a stand alone bow wood. It is very fast wood though if it doesn't take set or chrysal.  Same with Walnut, I have made several backed walnut bows. 1 1/4 wide 72 to 74" long should be good for 90#

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 01:24:23 pm »
While I have you guys attention what are your thoughts on deer antler for the nocks? I have cow horn so I can build “proper” ones but I think the antler would look good on the Osage if it can handle the weight.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:27 am »
I'd say deer antler is probably even a hair stronger than cow horn. I have it on a 128# @ 31" long bow with no issues. Just watch not cutting into the spongy bone, it has a tendency to split there.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 07:09:13 pm »
Cool  ;D

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 09:52:39 pm »
i started cutting into one of my cow horns and i was surprised at how much of the tip is solid.
the entire first 6'' that i cut completely solid! looks like there is still more solid horn too, is this amount normal or did i luck out with a good pair?  :D