Author Topic: My 1st Finished and Shootable Shortbow.  (Read 2980 times)

Offline IrishJay

My 1st Finished and Shootable Shortbow.
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:48:12 pm »
This piece of wood came from the Sassafras slab in my Wood ID thread (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66772.0.html)
When I cut the slab up I got one nice wide stave, one slightly narrower but still decent stave and a little skinny cutoff that I really didn't think had a bow in it.

Since I've never worked with Sassafras before I decide to play around with the skinny cutoff to get a feel for this wood before committing to a design or making any cuts on the better staves.

This wood really suprised me, because with a simple linen back I got it drawing 27# @31" on a 49" ntn bow. It took 2" of set, and its not a terribly fast shooter, but it gives me a lot of confidence in what a better stave will be capable of.

Toasted belly, 49" ntn, bendy handle finished with steel wool/vinegar stain and tung oil.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: My 1st Finished and Shootable Shortbow.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:49 pm »
The braced pic looks very nice. Let's see a FD when you get the chance.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:39:11 pm »
I will when my wife gets home. When I posted it was just me and the 2 year old. She doesn't have the arm length for a 31" draw and shes a shakey photographer😜
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:47:45 pm »
Nice torture test on that! I think you know why you got those 2 inches of set... Just to point out, you would probably be best going a few feet longer for you next bow :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:22 am »
As resquest FD pic :BB

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:22:58 am »
Ouch...  Well it's not at 31 and that's a good thing.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 05:41:10 pm »
Jay,
      Congrats on your first bow man...Looks canted in the photo which is ok...Stick around and keep making
                                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 07:01:27 pm »
Thanks Don. Not my first bow, just my first one below the 2:1bow length to drawlength ratio.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 09:45:36 pm »
I'm thinking about piking a couple inches off of this to get it to 30~35# at 22~24" and using it to learn native american style pinch draw style shooting. I was thinking a nice compact bow and a shooting style the centers around quick snappy shots would be good when kicking brush for bunnies. Anyone here use this shooting style?

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 05:12:23 am »
Yes Irishjay I shoot pinch grip style. I love it. It takes a lot of practice to get used to it and accurate.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:06:21 am »
I shoot pinch grip simply because my arrow nocks have always been shallow and triangular.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 09:17:01 am »
How long is your draw pinch grip vs 3 finger?

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:06:27 pm »
Sweet little bow! Nice work!  :OK
Offgrid mtn living

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 12:14:54 am »
How long is your draw pinch grip vs 3 finger?

I have the same 26” draw whether I pinch grip or 3 finger(one up two down).

Warbow draw for me is 28” lol.  Yeah I’m only 5’6”

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 10:35:42 am »
I love short bows.  Seems to bending a bit much in the inner 1/3 on the bottom limb.  Your probably aware of that i just don't see anyone addressing it.  And 31" draw on a 49" ntn bow, wow (A) i cant believe it didn't break.  But great job at making a working Sasafrass bow.  Look forward to seeing more from you Irish!