Author Topic: Broadhead covers(boots, etc)?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Broadhead covers(boots, etc)?
« on: November 07, 2019, 09:26:43 pm »
Help!  Sometime back, there was a thread going that showed how to make covers for broadheads, but I haven't been able to retrieve it.  Anyone have a pattern?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TimBo

Re: Broadhead covers(boots, etc)?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:22:03 pm »
I can try to find the paper pattern I made, but basically I drew a triangle slightly bigger than the broadhead (maybe about 1/8" per side), then drew the same size triangle off of one long edge of the first one (if that makes sense), then traced it onto buckskin, cut it out, folded in half, sewed up or glued one side, all done.  Buckskin seems to work well for me; they pull off inside my Plains-style quiver when removed, but you can turn the quiver over, hold the other arrows, and shake out the broadhead bootie pretty easily.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 11:14:55 am »
Makes sense to me, but then I'm into primitive archery and skills, for good or ill! >:D (lol). Should work with bison, too.  Project for rainy day Monday's!  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 12:06:38 am »
   This may be it, page 3 Jerry...   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64202.0.html
                                                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:16:55 am »
That is what I had in mind!  What diameter did you cut  the circle?  I may have to add an edge welt?'
Since I'll be using legal steel points in Colorado!  Have to make up some for stone points for other states! :KN (SH) :-D!
Hawkdancer(Jerry)
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 04:44:38 am »
      Jerry, I cut them out of a piece of skin, sewed them with sinew...Can't tell ya the diameter of the circle I placed them in...If you look close you will see mine aren't really a triangle...Make a paper stencil and fold over your points leaving room for sewing...
       They work just like TimBo said...They usually stay in the quiver which is what I want to happen when slipping one out...Your Bison hide may be a safer choice for steel heads...Wouldn't want to fall on them razors without some proper cover...
                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;