Author Topic: Design question regarding D/R bows with Ipe  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Design question regarding D/R bows with Ipe
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:14:12 am »
I have made a few laminated bows, but will try my first deflex-reflex design in the coming week. I am curious what folks think regarding the length of bows like this. My original intent was to make it ~67 inches long, which is about as long as I am tall. Before I commit to that I thought I would get some input from those who are more experienced with this sort of bow. Are there diminishing returns with respect to length in deflex-reflex bows when made from dense woods? I will be using Ipe as the belly wood, and a hickory strip to back it with.

Offline Mafort

Re: Design question regarding D/R bows with Ipe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:59:19 am »
Ipe is dense wood. Keep most of the mass near the handle and try to keep the tips as light as possible. I have a hickory backed hickory tri lam that uses ipe as the core lam and its 72” long. It’s a really good bow and it’s scary fast even in the humid kentucky climate. The last 6” or so can be narrow and light to help out with the mass. Hope this made sense. I’ll try adding pictures when I get home

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 11:47:21 am »
Eric, you have many options with ipe.  If I were to go that length, I would my handle/fade section longer than normal and my tips stiff to minimize the working length and have the angle benefits of a longer bow.  Ipe can handle it. 
I would have 14-16" of nonworking handle/fade, and at least 7" of stiff tips.  Like Mafort mentioned, make sure you don't have excess mass in the tips and you should have a good performing bow. 

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 11:52:28 am »
Just realized I didn't really answer your question.  I think you are right there with the right length for this style of bow.  I wouldn't go over 70" or under 60".  67" should work just fine.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 07:54:32 am »
Thanks folks!