Author Topic: Polyester Cloth for backing  (Read 1574 times)

Offline IrishJay

Polyester Cloth for backing
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:24:38 pm »
I came across some cloth in an old storage tote while trying to clean up my garage. At first glance I thought it might make a decent bow backing, until I looked at the tage and saw "100% Polyester." What is the consensus in the community regarding synthetic fabrics? Obviously not as bad as the F word, but is it still forboden?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Polyester Cloth for backing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:04:37 pm »
Never been a fan of any kind of cloth backing. If it’s made right it won’t need it. Polyester would for me be a complete non starter. That’s just my opinion for what it’s worth.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 09:07:56 pm »
Well, I figure there are plenty of natural backings  like linen, silk and burlap that will work well so I 've elected  to stay natural.  My site has info.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:26 pm »
I've used linen before, and I have a couple of 100% cotton shirts I'm planning to cut up. Much higher thread count/tighter weave than the linen.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:30:15 am »
Do a strength test?  I am asking rather than stating a point, I don't have enough experience.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 02:40:18 am »
1. It's not natural.
2. It will be difficult to get good adhesion.
3. There are plenty of better natural materials, silk and linen being good choices. Hemp probably good too if you can get long fibre stuff.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.