Author Topic: Need help with wood ID  (Read 7126 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Need help with wood ID
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 10:39:57 am »
It's  certainly not American Hornbeam.   How long has this been drying?  Many woods get apparently much harder with time.  Try whittling any random piece of firewood that's sat for 5 years or so.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 11:14:17 am »
Pat, it was cut about 3 months ago. It came from the slab pile of a lumber mill site. I pulled it from the pile and brought it inside about 8 days ago. End grain pics don't really show the late growth pores that are visible to the naked eye. They're definitely arranged in rings. I'm still thinking some species of hickory.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 12:36:19 pm »
Heres a pic of the belly grain where I done some reduction with the draw knife.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 06:56:39 pm »
Tried my best to get the camera to capture the yellow hue the wood is taking on as I reduce it.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 07:04:37 pm »
Heres the rough cut side of the slab that the lumber mill left on it. This surface seasoned outside for about 3 months.

bownarra

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2019, 01:28:50 am »
It isn't poplar. :)
Hickory.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2019, 07:48:09 am »
Ask the people that piled the slabs.
Just the fact that you took these from a pile of slabs would keep me from using them for bows. Mighe work fine for siding but I'm doubtful it is appropriate for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC