Author Topic: Tutankhamun Exhibit  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Parnell

Tutankhamun Exhibit
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:20:56 am »
I thought I’d post this in here.  I suppose it could be moved to horn bows if need be?

Anyhow, I have twin sisters, one sister that lives in London.  Today they visited the British Museum, celebrating their birthday and saw the Tutankhamun exhibit.  They forward these pictures on to me this morning.  Would like to see that in person...I wonder if it will be coming to the states?  I’ll have to look that up.

I think the bow case is amazing.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: Tutankhamun Exhibit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:22:00 am »
Couple more...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:36:07 am »
Hmm, guess it already left America.  Had been on display in Los Angeles.  Apparently, the exhibit will be permanently housed in a new museum being built in Cairo in 2021...no more travel.  Celebrating 100 years since the discovery in 1922.
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:32:16 am »
There's a guy making one on the German forum "Fletchers Corner". I'm not sure if you can see the pictures without being a member but I'll give it a shot.
https://www.fletchers-corner.de/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31311
Can someone let me know if you can see the pictures? I'm permanently logged in so I can't tell.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:46:07 am »
Nicht spreken zie Deutsch!  But the pictures are visible!  Nice!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:32 am »
Yup DC I could see em. Couldn't understand a word though.

Steve I think I  saw a program on TV about this King. It was quite interesting. I love the drawings to. The tillering on the bows was depicted as spot on. I might be wrong but I think this was a king they suspected had birth defects. He was none the less a ferocious warrior and skilled Archer. If I remember correctly because of the way he was mummified they suspected he met his demise in a battle far from home and a partial mummification was done prior to the final one.
Bjrogg
Take all that with in grain of salt cause my old brain sometimes gets confused
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:52:44 am »
it says on the plate that it was made out of glass! if thats true there might be a primitive type of glass bow.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
Hmm, I don't know Deerhunter.  I'd figure glass for decoration?  I don't know.  I've wondered what type of horn the Egyptian's used for their bows.  I held one that, I believe, James Parker made once.  It was really a beautiful thing.

BJ, your not kidding about the birth defects.  I doubt very much that by today's standards and "thinking" he would even be considered male.  From what I've understood overtime and teaching biology/genetics over the years he suffered from a laundry list of genetic disorders that physically made him...androgynous, to use a word.

Those ancient Egyptians in all their wisdom and splendor sure hadn't figured out the importance of the family tree having branches!  More like a family broom stick!  Ha...

Fore that matter, I suppose the more recent European royals weren't all that much better.  Just a little.

Nonetheless, I enjoy the art, history, and...THOSE CHARIOTS they made!  Awesome.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:19:43 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:44 pm »
Nicht spreken zie Deutsch!  But the pictures are visible!  Nice!
Hawkdancer
I use the translator that comes with Google Chrome. It works quite well.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 12:22:44 pm »
Just saw on that Fletcher's Corner link he is using Oryx horn.  That's interesting.
1’—>1’

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 12:42:28 pm »
So, what is the back and what is the belly?  Is it recurved or deflexed?
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:48:51 pm »
So, what is the back and what is the belly?  Is it recurved or deflexed?
T

I'm thinking it's a very similar unbraced profile to the bow that Marc just posted.
Bjrogg
Which if I'm correct is kinda cool because it would mean it didn't sit around for several hundred years strung.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 12:53:24 pm »
James Parker has an Egyptian angular bow like this that he built. He usually brings it to the Classic. I've shot it and it shoots quite well. I think it is made of horn, wood and sinew like most Asiatic horn bows are made.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 05:53:38 pm »
You are seeing them unstrung and reflexed.  When strung that point at the grip is forward and the bow is almost triangular.  If you google Egyptian horn bow it will come up in images.

Pat, I was considering it today how North Africa-Egypt had adopted the Asiatic building techniques.  Then I started wondering which cultures composite bows came first...the Far East?  Or does the composition start in Egypt?  Mesopotamia?  I wonder...
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 07:02:04 pm »
Steve, it might be hard to determine who was first. Just like bows in general were developed on every continent except Australia and the Antarctic at about the same time, around 12,000 years ago. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC