Author Topic: Antler siyahs  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Antler siyahs
« on: November 15, 2019, 04:45:28 pm »
 Hello all, I don't post very often but I am starting to try some bows with siyahs. I have some angled vine Maple pieces and Serviceberry pieces that would work quite well. however, I have several pieces of elk antler that would make a great profile. My question is: is antler too heavy or brittle for the task?

Thanks!!!

Offline DC

Re: Antler siyahs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:58:46 pm »
I don't think strength is a problem but the weight could be too much. If you have a spare you could reduce it in size until you can just bend it and see how much it weighs. You might find that even if they are scary skinny that they are still strong enough. I think it's a great idea. It may be tough to get them straight enough in the other direction though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 10:56:20 pm »
The solution as figured out thousands of years ago is side  plates of antler or bone on a wood core.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:38:13 am »
And there is no real need to do that unless you want a heavy bow.
I wouldn't use them as I suspect they won't be strong enough once reduced. Antler isn't solid all the way through and can't be treated as homogenous.

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 09:12:15 am »
Thank you all for your input.  I will try a set down the road, mostly for effect.  I figured I would have to stabilize it once reduced.  I will work with the maple until perfected.  Probably some epic bow explosions coming up.  But if you ain't breaking...

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 11:34:38 am »
I've tried it once. The glue gave me the fits, the splice wouldn't hold, and it wanted to give me limb torque problems. Good luck! I'd love to see it done.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline timmyd

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 04:45:55 pm »
I saw a youtube video interview of a primitive Bowyer and he built one using deer jaws. Cool as all get out.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:21:43 pm »
I saw a youtube video interview of a primitive Bowyer and he built one using deer jaws. Cool as all get out.

Gee whizz, I wish I had the imagination to think of things like that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others