Author Topic: How many heat-treatings?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline redhillwoods

How many heat-treatings?
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:19:29 am »
I've finished a black walnut bow that is a little under weight (#36). I'd like to get it up to #39-40. I'm thinking about heat-treating the limbs and also increasing the reflex on the tips however the bow has already been heat treated twice. Is a third tempering excessive on the bending parts of the bow? Or no problem?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: How many heat-treatings?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 06:40:44 am »
In my experience, no problem.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 10:55:02 am »
Sometimes when I've been chasing string alignment I've heated a bow a half dozen times, maybe more. I can be a klutz sometimes ;D

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:51:15 am »
I heat Osage till I get where I want it. Heat treat though I would not expect not to gain much weight after the first one if done evenly. Maybe Marc can chime in here. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 12:35:03 pm »
With Walnut you get cast robbing set before the back breaks in my experience. Induce a little reflex in both limbs, and  flip your tips a little more, and give it a good heat treat.Do it on a form so every thing stays aligned.That will get you to were you want to be.

Offline kbear

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:09:49 pm »
Hi Redhill. Without a picture of your bow or knowing the full specs it is hard to make a recommendation, but it might be possible for you to pike your bow. That is, remove an inch or so from both ends. That should bring your poundage up a little.......

Refer: TBB1 Tillering "For each 1% of the length cut off, the weight will go up approximately 5%"

If your bow is a little overbuilt and the tiller is good, this may be an option.