Author Topic: Seams in Rawhide Back  (Read 1184 times)

Offline IrishJay

Seams in Rawhide Back
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:31:58 pm »
I have some decently thick rawhide that I want to back a bow with. Its in fairly short lengths so it will take 5 pieces to do the whole bow. I'm planning to overlap each section about an inch and sanding the transitions as smooth as possible.

Is there any harm in having overlapped rawhide seams mid limb?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Seams in Rawhide Back
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:50:31 pm »
A long joint would be the best way to join the rawhide pieces on the back but if the rawhide is too thick it will detract from the performance due to the excess physical weight. Thin rawhide like deer or goat are perfect because they are not only thin but also strong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »
ive never tried that ,, but I think it will be ok,, :)

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 05:53:14 pm »
Backs prepped and the hide is soaking, going to start glue up tomorrow. I'll post some pic once I get the bow shooting. 
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear