Author Topic: Longer top limb.  (Read 1328 times)

Offline redhillwoods

Longer top limb.
« on: November 20, 2019, 06:30:31 pm »
I'm working on a r/d bow with the top limb 3" longer than the bottom. I don't want to make it any shorter by taking an inch off the top. I'm thinking of posi-tillering it 1". Any other suggestions?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Longer top limb.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:23:11 pm »
What's the reason for making top longer?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:34 am »
Longer top, longer bottom... doesn't matter... it's all about the tiller.
One of my best bows was made out in the woods, with no measuring... turned out the lower limb was 3" longer! Now I sometimes make 'em that way intentionally.  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:22:04 am »
Don't think about it that way... with ANY bow. Don't assume that any predetermined tiller measurement at brace will inherently translate into a balanced bow as its drawn. That's a fool's errand, especially in all wooden bows. Balance at full draw is what you seek, so balance the limbs' strengths at full draw, and allow the braced profile to be whatever it will as a result. The profile at brace should be a result of your efforts to achieve balance, not a predicate of it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 10:58:37 am »
Yes I know it can be done,,,,just wondered about the intended. Design,...I agree,,,about the balance at full draw is more important than braced appearance,...etc etc...I was just curious,..
    I have made bows with different length limbs,,,if more than an inch,,,I was usually working with a challenging stave,,,and not by design )P(

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
I have a sinew backed Elm bow, and a Birch self bow that have a horrible  unbraced, and braced profile, but the limbs are balanced, and they shoot good.