Author Topic: Ash Sudbury/Pyramid/Holmegaard Mix  (Read 5663 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Ash Sudbury/Pyramid/Holmegaard Mix
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 10:43:43 pm »
Simk and bjrogg I was wondering the same. Pretty sure someone knows, if not I will post when I recognize a significant color change.
What I also recognized, staining with the soup works like a dream, the early growth rings like to leave some white spots, but OO soup penetrates very well. Also when I applied the first layer with tung oil, it acted like being oiled already. Normally it just sucks up the first layer.
Good looking bow, bow did you make the “soup” ?
Nice job!  Interesting blend of styles!  I'm interested in the "soup recipe", gpp!
Hawkdancer
Just take scrapes, shavings, sawdust and boil it a couple of hours until you get a thick soup. Take some samples if you are not sure how thick. I also hanged in a teabag with black tea for a couple of minutesFilter the soup and apply it mixed with alcohol (IPA)

Glad you like it, thanks.
B2W
IPA like the beer?  :o >:D
lol just kidding i assume "IPA" stands for "Isopropyl alcohol" ? any particular concentration? or does it not matter?

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 12:17:29 am »
Thank you!
That´s a very nice bow. I´m sure it draws smoothly!
Yep it draws smooth, guess the length, the stiff outer, give it still a good string angle.
Nice :0 That design obviously works well with the Ash.
Did you stain it that colour to make it think it was Osage  ;D
Del
;D - i've made quiet a few ash bows by now, I think with this design I'm close to the optimum for this tree.
I like to experience with different stains on my white bows, that was the main reason.
It's like make up. From far you are pretty sure it's a super model, but getting closer you discover a chubby girl..( an OO bow with the same thickness would be a 100# bow I guess). But if the character is right I don't mind when she pretend to be a queen.

dylanholderman: my IPA comes 99,9%. I use it for many things but not for drinking 0.1% makes it undrinkable anyway. Just add it, to manipulate the amount of soup you are going to apply. It will evaporate fast and applying is easier
B2W
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:53:28 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 01:56:10 am »
I´m going to mark the arrow pass. In the FD pic I hold it a bit too high.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 08:37:21 am »
Beauty- I like ash very much. Light in the hand and mine have been nice shooting bows for their draw weights.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 03:15:45 pm »
Look'n good.  Nice work!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?