Author Topic: how to ID osage in the winter.  (Read 3240 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: how to ID osage in the winter.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 05:27:10 pm »
Keep an eye out for roots if you are walking along a creek.  They don't necessarily frequent creeks (like cottonwoods for instance), but the roots really stand out if there is one there.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 07:45:51 am »
Yep, I have asked for and given permission to pull osage out of a land clearing burn pile after I spotted this blaze orange roots from a long distance away.

Not all osage has thorns, I gave away a some marvelous osage staves years ago because the tree didn't have thorns and I thought it was mulberry. When I was back in the area I cut the tree a year later, every sprout coming out of the stump was a mass of thorns.

This one didn't have a thorn either but its sprouts did a year later.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:51 am »
Nice logs. That makes me want to go cut some.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 09:03:24 am »
I gotta buy a chainsaw... Christmas is here!!!!! AND MY BIRTHDAY!!!! well now i need to debate what flintknapping tools to get, what bow making tools to get, and what i should get for just plain fun!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:52 am »
Go for the fun things!  They fit the other two, as well!  Most days anyway!  Tools usually last longer, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 06:29:47 am »
Yella Gold

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 01:26:56 pm »
Re: Hedgehunters, picture - You will also need wedges and sledges!  Got a dandy splitting sledge, barely used, but probably not accurate enough for splitting out staves.  Be ready to work when you get to the cutting and splitting!  And watch out for the tree fall! )-w(!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »
I don't know how experienced you are with a chainsaw but they are dangerous beasts. Osage often hangs up in other trees and won't make it to the ground when cut. Despite your best efforts some cuts will pinch your saw blade and leave you frustrated. Be prepared, have wedges and a sledge handy to open pinched cuts up. Two saws are a handy thing to have as well. Some of my friends have sustained grievous cuts from their saws, I have cut through my bluejeans twice but got lucky and only scratched my skin. There have been many close calls when I was paying complete attention to what I was doing.

As for sharpening your saw this new contraption can't be beat. It files the tooth and the rake at the same time to just the right height. Stihl sells an orange one of these for twice the price, this one is German made and is exactly the same one Stihl sells but in blue.They sell these on ebay. If you get one they make 3 sizes for the 3 different size chains that might be found in saws of different sizes. You have to get the one that fits your saw.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:36:08 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 10:47:14 am »
The only thing worse than having to leave your chainsaw stuck in a pinched kerf while you go home to get a hammer and wedge is coming back and finding that someone else had a hammer and wedge. And now has another saw. >:( >:(

Offline gifford

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 11:13:57 am »
I'd advise anyone planning on spending time with a chainsaw to invest in a pair of chainsaw chaps. The Kevlar ones are lighter and more flexible than the old ones that were heavy canvas and metal mesh. The chaps are a lot cheaper than stitches.

I recently moved my wedge stash and found out I've accumulated a half dozen splitting wedges and two felling wedges. Fella can't have too many wedges it seems.

These days I prefer to spend some money and buy a good stave at places like MoJAM. Heck of lot easier than finding, felling, splitting, hauling and seasoning the do it yourself way. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 11:33:28 am »
If in doubt, take a few staves from the suspect trees.  Dry and season them.  Make bows from the seasoned wood.  Are they dynamite, killer bows?  If yes, rest assured, you found Bodark.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 09:08:21 pm »
Thanks guys! im going on a run (hopefully) during fall break. ill let you know how it goes.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 07:06:21 am »
I've had my chainsaw pinched a few times where I couldn't get it out... and once in the bottom/butt cut while attempting to drop the tree. The tree was held fast by its neighbors branches. Afterwards the bar was unusable. But I always carry a spare bar and chain on any osage outing. Usually, you can detach the bar and leave it there, put the spare bar on and continue. Get an extra bar and a few chains.

I have 16 steel wedges as well as some wooden ones made with osage and ironwood.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer