Author Topic: Linen string break  (Read 3882 times)

Black Moshannon

Linen string break
« on: November 20, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »
I had a new linen string break today at release. It broke at the timber hitch knot on the bottom nock. The bow is a 66" 58 pound black locust D bow with 1 inch of string follow. This is my first time using linen for bowstrings, previously I used Dacron B-50... I always made a flemish twist string with the loop on the top nock and just used a timber hitch on the bottom, which is what I did with the linen. The linen is 7 strand from pyrosupplies and had six plies in the string. The string lasted a few shooting sessions. I'm thinking I will have to make a regular flemish twist loop at the bottom nock as well, and perhaps use 8 plies in the string. The string is listed as having a strength of 48 pounds. I ordered some 38 pound six strand string from Pyrosuppies which is supposed to be higher quality, according to the website. I am also going to try to find a source of Barbour linen thread, which I heard is best quality. Anyone have any thoughts on the timber hitch knot and flax thread?

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Linen string break
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 02:11:35 pm »
String from Pyrosupplies used to be good. Not so much anymore. The last batch I bought from them was too inconsistent to use to make bow strings.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 02:32:00 pm »
I found out that Coats now makes Barbour linen string. So far the only places Ive found are big shoe or leather supply companies that do not give a price online but will give a quote.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:28:05 pm »
Cambell-Randall Machinery in Texas sells Coats/Barbours linen thread in many different strand counts. I ordered a one pound spool of five strand. Hopefully it’s the answer.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »
  You will find the actual strength is exactly 1/2 of what they show it as. This is because they test it as a single loop as are actually testing two strands. I have to use 8 strands on my 50# flight bows and that won't give me too many shots.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 04:22:53 pm »
Is that 8 strands of the 7 strand stuff? That means my strings going to be thicker. I’ll make a Flemish twist loop on both ends of the better quality for my #50 bow and wait for the Irish stuff to arrive for my 58 and 60 pound bows.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 07:15:37 pm »
 Lose the timber hitch and go with two loops.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »
I don't bother using pyro linen for anything but kids bows.  I picked up a # of high quality linen through ebay a few years ago.  A 300# string is not much more than 1/8" thick
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Black Moshannon

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:40:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll wait for the Coats/Barbour linen to come in, then break test it and make a regular flemish twist string with the right number of plies. I'll leave a review here. This linen came to $61 with shipping... expensive but worth it if it's going to work.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 02:18:38 am »
And (it is very important!) add a few strands extra at the knot to counter the weakening effect of the knot. At least then it won't be the knots fault :) Pretty much any knot weakens cordage by 30% - factor that in and the knot won't be a problem.
Of course you should test your linens breaking strain before making a string and use 5/6 times safety margin. 58# bow x 6 = 348#

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »
I've made about 80 linen bowstrings all with the Irish shoemakers' weave. I get the spools from a company that makes it primarily for the funeral home industry (tying orifices closed). I've stress tested the strands at about 6lbs. each and just overshoot the draw weight a bit for insurance. So for a 40lb bow I would use 8 strands. I make the endless loop style and I've never had an issue with breakage.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 07:42:39 pm »
I've made about 80 linen bowstrings all with the Irish shoemakers' weave. I get the spools from a company that makes it primarily for the funeral home industry (tying orifices closed). I've stress tested the strands at about 6lbs. each and just overshoot the draw weight a bit for insurance. So for a 40lb bow I would use 8 strands. I make the endless loop style and I've never had an issue with breakage.

????.  Are you saying that you make a 48# string for a 40# bow?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 10:05:18 pm »

You would need a minimum of 160# for a 40# bow or it would break just after a few shots. A 48# string would not survive being braced?? I would rethink your formula.  I make hundreds of linen strings so I know a little about it.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 07:43:23 am »
The linen arrived, it’s packaged with the Barbours red hand trademark box saying “This brand the best and the best now”. Its 5 cord and soft, and broke at just over twenty pounds. I made a Flemish twist string with ten plies for a fifty pound red elm D bow. So far it looks and shoots great. With the serving, the string just comfortably fits the self nocks of my 11/32 diameter arrows. My serving is Brownells nylon. In order to make a 12 ply string for my sixty pound bows, I am getting some thinner sewing thread for use as serving.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »
Iv'e made several strings from the Barbour linen and have been shooting for a few weeks and no problems. Anyone know how long to expect these strings to last? I used to shoot the B-50 for like eight years without any failures although I shouldn't have. I know these strings take more care and need replaced more often but not sure how often. I am using straight beeswax on them. Also wondering if I should count my shots to see how much wear I'm putting on them.