Author Topic: tear under recurve  (Read 1383 times)

Offline redhillwoods

tear under recurve
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:05:43 pm »
Hi everyone. I was just putting a bit more recurve into a bow that I had already steamed curves into and then tempered. I thought I could get away with just using the heat gun rather than steaming and re-tempering but I put a small tear into the belly side of the curve. I'm reluctant to cut out the 2" to remove the tear as the bow is black walnut and 63"ntn. I'm concerned that 61" is a little short for a black walnut #40, but it is 1 3/4" wide for much of the working limbs. Can I just fill the crack with epoxy? It's a static recurve so that area is not bending. The crack goes about 1/4 way through the depth of the curve. Thoughts?

Offline PatM

Re: tear under recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:12:59 pm »
Patching these type of cracks is easily done by reducing past the crack and adding on a matched piece.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:51:32 am »
Usually I fill with super glue. Usually I have some wood I can still remove from belly side. I let the super glue cure good and then I file down. If it's not bending and remains that way, it shouldn't be a structural problem. More of a cosmetic thing. If you don't like it you can put a underlay on later. Maybe see if your Black Walnut makes it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:45:52 am »
I've had this happen on a couple of occasions and dealt with it like BJ suggested, super glue and over(under) lays for support.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 05:21:35 pm »
Properly installed underlays and overlays can repair anything.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 01:46:26 am »
If you chase a ring on the bellyside, get them soaked for a few days first then boil them - you won't have this problem in the first place.