Author Topic: First bow in the making  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Re: First bow in the making
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 07:29:22 pm »
Heat treated hickory works fine regardless of the humidity. It is a lot easier to find a straight hickory stave, or even a decent board, and heat treat it than to use anything less than a primo osage stave to make a first bow. Heat treating is a useful skill to learn regardless.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 07:31:28 pm »
Sorry to hear that you got ripped off on that stave. (and you did get ripped off) That's the kind of stave that you throw into a deal for free to see if you might get a bow out if it. You should be able to get a straight, clean osage stave for $50-$100. Anything more than that and there should be something truly exceptional about the stave. There's likely a bow in that stave but I don't think you're doing yourself a favor by trying to coax a first bow out of that without hands-on guidance. We can do our best from pictures but you really need to have your hands on a stave like that to know what to do with it. My advice would be to set it aside for now and get yourself a nice, clean and reasonably priced stave that wont give you major obstacles for your first bow build. If you can find a source for a good stave, send me a message and I'll point you towards someone that will shoot straight with you.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 10:38:48 pm »
Sorry to hear that you got ripped off on that stave. (and you did get ripped off) That's the kind of stave that you throw into a deal for free to see if you might get a bow out if it. You should be able to get a straight, clean osage stave for $50-$100. Anything more than that and there should be something truly exceptional about the stave. There's likely a bow in that stave but I don't think you're doing yourself a favor by trying to coax a first bow out of that without hands-on guidance. We can do our best from pictures but you really need to have your hands on a stave like that to know what to do with it. My advice would be to set it aside for now and get yourself a nice, clean and reasonably priced stave that wont give you major obstacles for your first bow build. If you can find a source for a good stave, send me a message and I'll point you towards someone that will shoot straight with you.

PM sent.  That's tough advise to swallow being as I just got back into and feel so close.  But I suppose its advise I'd ought to take.  I dont have a lot of money on hand at the moment so maybe I'll set this aside and do the board bow idea or something.  I'll probably be thanking you later for your advise though. I'll set it aside and see what lowes, home depot and maybe your source has to offer. 
Thanks,
D
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline timmyd

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 07:31:58 pm »
sent you a PM