Author Topic: Board bow question  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Board bow question
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 06:13:50 pm »
In my experience yes. I have had a number of solid glue on handles come loose at the transition to the limb, I have never had a shimmed handle come loose. I also got better at bow making about the time I started shiming handles so my apparent success might not be attributable to the shims.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 06:54:46 pm »
Do you have a WAG why? I can't understand it unless the glue line has a little "slippage" for lack of a better word. If the glue line works a bit you'd think that would cause it to fail eventually.
The only WAG I can see is that the using of the shims encourages the bowyer to make the fades a little better. The glue lines would show the taper better. Dunno

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 07:34:37 pm »
I think its more to do with elasticity in the glue joints than "slippage." Each glue layer can stretch a little and each shim can bend a little as the center of the stave pulls away from the handle. The handle can still be "rigid" as all this bending and streching would be imperceptible, but its just enough to spread the stresses throughout multiple glue joints, rather than focusing it on a single glue joint like a solid handle block would. 
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 09:10:25 pm »
I did a glue on handle for my first board bow! i don't suggest it. i look at my scar just..... wait a little bit.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 04:00:10 am »
Thanks for replies everybody.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 07:39:04 am »
I believe it is glue flexibility as well,the urac I used could take a lot of bending.