Author Topic: Recipe help - elk roast  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Recipe help - elk roast
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:15:16 am »
I was gifted a elk roast and i dont know how i should go about cooking it. im planning on doing so next sunday in a crock pot but i want to try something else. any suggestions?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Recipe help - elk roast
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:27:04 am »
Russell,
I will post my recipe in a bit!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:58:02 am »
Thank you!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 12:34:16 pm »
Here you go!
"ROAST OF WILD CRITTER"
This will sort of work with almost any wild  big game and/or grass fed domestic game, maybe not bear or pork, though!

One 3-5# roast of something game?
Roast pan and rack

Sea salt as desired
1/2 -1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 - 1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp mint (ground)

Liberal sprinkle of sea salt from the grinder over all sides off meat
Lightly sprinkle garlice, onion powder, and thyme over roast
Combine Rosemary, basil, and mink in mortar and grind to fine grit,  sprinkle on roast,
Rub seasonings into roast

Set roast in a safe place to marinade - dogs like raw seasoned roast (lol)!

Set oven to 325F, place roast on rack in pan, cook about 30 minutes per pound to internal temperature of 140F for rare, 160F for medium, or 170-180 for well done.  Remove from oven when desired temputature is close and let set 15 minutes in warm place before slicing.

Serve as full dinner with fixings (recommended), or as single dish "mountain man" camp meal!

Enjoy!

Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:45:07 am »
I think it would depend on what type of roast you received. I've only eaten backstrap and only chicken fried(my Texas host's favorite) and it was pretty darn good but with deer backstrap I like to rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and sear it in a HOT cast iron skillet on all sides then place in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes(for medium rare) then take it out and set aside in a warm place to rest. I then de-glaze the pan with beef broth(venison, chicken or veggy broth will work too), add a shot of bourbon, some heavy cream and reduce. Once the back strap has rested I cut into medallions for serving. Any juices that run out I add to the sauce. If the meat isn't cooked enough for you, just add it to the sauce for a minute then serve. I like oven roasted potatoes, steamed veggies with lemon butter and a green salad.
 You might have to cook the elk back strap a little longer because of it's size.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:56:46 pm »
Well, if it is backstrap you have an extremely generous friend, because no one in their right mind gives away backstrap!    But if someone did, slice them into steaks and do what Pat said.

Here's my recipe for venison potroast.  It works for about any cut, even shanks.

1 Hunk o' meat, seasoned with cracked pepper
A cup or two of beef broth or game stock
Bacon

1.  Find an oven-safe cookpot with a lid that fits.
2.  Fry up the bacon in said pot, over medium-low heat, until the fat is rendered out and the bacon is crispy.  If it's smoking, you're too hot.  Set the bacon aside.  Or go ahead and eat some of it now.  We all know you want to.
3.  Turn heat up to medium high.  Sear roast quickly on all sides until they are nice, dark brown, almost charred.  You'll get some smoke this step.  Better warn the family and open some windows.
4.  Pour in enough broth/stock to almost cover the roast.  Crumble the bacon into the broth.
5.  Cover the lid; put in a 220F oven for several hours.  If you put it in in the morning, it should be ready for supper.
6.  Set the roast aside to rest while you thicken the broth into gravy.

The roast will be fork-tender, since all the connective tissue and sinew will have cooked into gelatin and melted into the sauce. 

Serve with mashed potatoes or, if you want to really do it right, hashbrowns.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 12:15:28 am »
Darn it!  Now I'm hungry again! -C- (=) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry