Author Topic: How to get started???  (Read 2271 times)

Offline TovinoThomas

How to get started???
« on: November 25, 2019, 05:07:21 am »
Hi, English Longbowman here. I currently shoot with a custom made longbow that my club's captain made for me. It's a beautiful looking thing but it's inspired me to try making my own at some point.

From the sounds of things, the captain makes his in his garage, so it doesn't sound like I'll need the fanciest equipment to make one, but can anyone link me a decent resource (or even a course) for making my own?whatsapp web 192.168.0.1 routerlogin
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:19:01 pm by TovinoThomas »

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: How to get started???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:44:50 am »
We have a guy here named Del the Cat from Harlow England who is one of the best longbow builders around.

He can be found on the war bow section of this site. His website has tons of videos and longbow making instructions.He is very good.

You could contact him by PM for information. There are tons of longbow making videos on youtube as well.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:54:32 am »
Google bowyers diary that's where I blog up everything I do.
I also have loads of videos on Youtube (user name Del Cat) including a full build along series for an English Longbow and a Warbow.
here's a link to the ELB series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgG0M--KCZE&list=PLBz2tD9476KQFyMBLEylQGh952tBT_mZB

To answer the question of how to get started, I'd suggest harvesting some wood that is local to you (Hazel, Elm, Ash, Maple, Sycamore...) and just jumping in and trying to make a simple bow. You'll make plenty of mistakes, but learn a lot by just having a go.
(Thanks for the kind words Eric :) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 02:04:36 am »
First you need a decent book. I'd get the Traditional Bowyers Bibles series. Trying to get all the info off forums is very difficult, much more logical and quicker to read it in one place.
Then go out and cut a few staves.
Reduce them down to floor tiller and then keep inside to dry.
In the mean time you could contact a woodyard and ask for ash/oak boards with perfectly straight grain to get started on while your staves dry.
Where in England are you? I would be happy to show you the basics if you are anywhere near County Durham.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 06:45:47 am »
I'm thinking you can't go wrong with Mr Cat.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise