Author Topic: Q about OO - MicroCracks ---FINISHED BOW page3---  (Read 10550 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Q about OO - MicroCracks ---FINISHED BOW page3---
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:08:57 pm »
Hi all  ;D
Finally I will try OO ;D. Have a few but never the nuts to work em down ::).
Most of them have some serious twist like this one - almost 90°!
So i steam bend it to about 10°. This also raised the reflex to about 4" by itself!
Also string alignment with steam in the handle.
I always let it cool out overnight between the sessions. After the handle session I discovered Micro Cracks at the back - spread out in the green marked section. Hope you can see them on the pic.
There I also did most of the untwisting in the first steam session.
The Cracks appeared next day after the handle session where I kept away the heat from that area as good as I could. Guess my guts already knew to take care of this section.

When I take down another ring I will end up with about 8 mm thickness and 39 mm width at that area. Enough meat? OAL 68"
Or can I superglue and ignore them?
I run out of raw hide and a backing is the last what I want on my first osage but probably the safest way...

Thank you for your thoughts!
B2W
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:09:32 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Q about OO - MicroCracks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 05:06:05 pm »
They are real common when you take the twist out of a limb, I superglue them and forget them.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:08:39 pm »
I can't really see the cracks in the photo, but I'm guessing they run with the grain rather than across the back.

Tricky spot to bend at the best of times, I wouldn't heat anymore, or remove a ring. Just flood the area with superglue, get some more rawhide to back it for safety.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:17:32 pm »
It will probably make it without rawhide depending on the design,, depending on how far you draw it etc, etc, etc,,
I think it is worth the investment in time to rawhide back,, but thats just me,, some say it does not do much,, but for me mentally it does,, starting with 4 inches of reflex, the bow is gonna be a little more stressed than normal anyway,, right,,??   whats your target weight and draw,, and width of bow,, ?
  it looks like you have a knot right on the edge of the limb too,,rawhide would help that too
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:39:29 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 07:52:55 pm »
Got sinew?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:24:44 pm »
Super glue and forget it. Rawhide if you feel compelled but so long as they don’t run off the sides I think your ok.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 01:12:13 am »
It will probably make it without rawhide depending on the design,, depending on how far you draw it etc, etc, etc,,
I think it is worth the investment in time to rawhide back,, but thats just me,, some say it does not do much,, but for me mentally it does,, starting with 4 inches of reflex, the bow is gonna be a little more stressed than normal anyway,, right,,??   whats your target weight and draw,, and width of bow,, ?
  it looks like you have a knot right on the edge of the limb too,,rawhide would help that too

I will probably go for a slight Pyramid 45 -50# at 27" draw.
the width is at 1 5/8 right now, ttt 68"
I took a close up from the grain run around the knot too, can still go a bit narrower there.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 01:15:30 am »
Got sinew?

Yes I have sinew for two bows, which are already prepped for it, one ash and one juniper. Never made a sinew backing before, so I think better to try on them first before I put my sticky fingers on the king of bowwood :D

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 01:21:59 am »
I can't really see the cracks in the photo, but I'm guessing they run with the grain rather than across the back.

Tricky spot to bend at the best of times, I wouldn't heat anymore, or remove a ring. Just flood the area with superglue, get some more rawhide to back it for safety.

Tried to take better pics, hope they are visible now. The crack pointed by the arrows runs out about 2 - 2 1/2" outward.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot - thats what I love in this forum!!
B2W

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 02:02:44 am »
Those are drying checks caused by the heat.
Let the stave dry some more before making a bow out of it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 02:30:39 am »
Pretend they aren't there  and they will do the same.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:21:53 am »
Hm
Opinions are about 50/50  - superglue and forget/backing - thanks a lot for your input!
Would be great to get some more thoughts for decision.
Problem with backing is, I cannot make corrections with heat anymore. And I'm not sure if I got it straight already.
B2W

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 04:55:04 am »
I wouldn't worry about them. Maybe put some thin super glue in them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 05:50:28 am »
I'm with the super glue and leave it group. And I'd let it dry some more and then glue it, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 07:33:04 am »
I have never backed a bow for its protection from flaws, I have wrapped serious cracks, mostly on bamboo, with thread and superglue and one osage bow with sinew.