Author Topic: Fur-trimmed quiver ideas?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Fur-trimmed quiver ideas?
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:33:02 pm »
Hi, all.  I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas.  I should be getting my deer hide back from the tannery within the foreseeable future, and I'm planning on using it to make a side quiver.  I also have a couple of nice furs--a badger (!) and a marten--that I thought would be cool to use for trim. 

Warning:  Picture-heavy thread.  I want to share the ideas I've found so far, even though I don't really like any of them.

I was thinking about just trimming around the mouth of the quiver with badger fur, but all the pictures of that type of quiver don't really appeal to me.

Call me closed-minded, but I don't want my quiver looking like the upper of a lady's high-fashion boot.

The other major design out there is a side quiver with the hide sort of draped over the top.  This would look extremely cool with the martin skin, but it isn't really the look I'm going for,either.  I want the fur to be an accent, not the whole of the quiver.

The thing is, this isn't a quiver to hang on the wall. The past quivers I've made (out of wool and goat leather) are a good, simple, functional design that I'm not afraid to take out and beat up in the woods.  Nice looking but not fancy.  I've never tried using fur on one before, and I don't want to cut up these nice furs until I'm pretty darned sure what I want.  I want the fur to be kind of subtle, setting off the deer leather, if that makes sense. 

Anybody have any patterns, designs, pictures, or other ideas?  Just throwing this out there to see what you guys think.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Fur-trimmed quiver ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 11:42:03 pm »
Pics 4&5 look pretty good!  I think you would want some fur lining to keep rattle to a minimum, but I haven't been hunting or shooting with that type of quiver.  It is on my do list.  Good luck with the project!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 06:50:20 pm »
I definitely agree about fur into the mouth to muffle the rattle
But only need a piece of fur for that
The furs your talking about might be better used for the plains style
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:10:27 am »
Yep.  I think I'm going to put fur around the rim, with fringe under it, and a little bit of fur over the top between the strap attachments.  And instead of fringe hanging down where the straps attach, I'm going to have the front feet and claws of the badger hanging down.  The rest of the quiver will be reddish-brown, bark-tanned deer leather.

That's the current plan.  I won't get the hide back until February, and once I start moving pieces around the plan might change.  Thanks for the input, everybody.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour