Author Topic: Horn characteristics  (Read 5152 times)

Offline DC

Horn characteristics
« on: November 28, 2019, 11:32:35 am »
How does horn stand up against good compression wood like Yew, Osage and Ipe? Horn usually needs an extreme amount of reflex. Can it be beneficial without being bent so far? What if you shaved 1/8" off the belly of a decent straight wood bow and replaced it with 1/8" of horn. Would it perform well or be a dog?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: Horn characteristics
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 03:59:56 pm »
Horn can handle somewhere around 5x the compression of any of those woods. That’s why it is best to stress it a lot to make up for the heavy weight of horn. I’ve seen regular bows by James Remp with horn belly’s and they shoot well and look beautiful.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 11:07:20 am »
If it can handle 5x the compression can you use half as much to counter the increased weight(mass)?

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:41:26 am »
It can be bent in a tighter radius.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 09:17:22 am »
For lack of a better word how does it's "springiness" compare? Does it have more or less hysteresis than the wood?

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 01:57:34 am »
Why do you ask? Once laminated to the other components its hysteresis becomes a part of the whole anyway.
It's best to do these sort of tests yourself. Glue up a test 'limb'.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 10:14:15 am »
I got two sets of horns when I bought mine. I'm not sure if I want to go through making another Turkish type bow. Just wondering about using the other set on a more conventional bow. They're 28" point to head end so I might get a 62" bow. Maybe the boo backed RD design that seems to be crushing my Yew.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 09:48:51 am »
DC, over the years a few guys here on PA buils convential bows with horn bellies. Tim Ott was one I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 09:58:45 am »
I don't think I want to go too conventional. I'm thinking something that is too much reflex for a wood belly but with a bamboo back. I'm not a big sinew fan. Not sure why, maybe the waiting :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 11:32:02 am »
Horn belly would probably be a good option for a boo back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC