Author Topic: Tree stand recommendations  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Azmdted

Tree stand recommendations
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a western hunter transplanted to the east now.  I spent years spotting and stalking Coues Whitetail, Elk, and Javelina with a gun and a bow.  But now I'm in eastern thick forest and tree stand land.  Never hunted out of a stand and don't know the first thing about them. 

I'm only a bow hunter now and will need something that will accommodate a 66" bow.  I'm 6'2", 60 years old, mind feels like mid 30's and body upper 40's.  Any suggestions for tree stand hunting in general or a specific stand or types with reduced chances of me breaking my neck setting up or shooting from it?

Thanks,

Ted

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree stand recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:00:00 pm »
Ted, at your age I would suggest a ladder stand or even a ground blind, either commercial or made on site with available, local materials. I hunted tree stands most of my hunting career living in the Southeast US. Once I hit 60 I decided to hunt from the ground or maybe a ladder. I started getting nervous in climbing and clamp on stands and unlike in my younger years I listened to myself.  ;)  I'm 69 now but don't hunt much anymore.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »
Thanks Pat,

Yep, I figured I was at the wrong end of the age thing for trees.  Maybe I can get lucky and find a rocky outcrop to sit in instead.  Hopefully I have a year or two left to try a tree, but I’m sure after the first slip I will rethink that..

Ted

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 04:53:22 pm »
Never too old to try a new method of hunting in my book.  Having hunted out of tree stands for over 35 years and evolved through many types and brands, I and my hunting buddies all now prefer ladder stands.  Put them together when you reach your vehicle destination then turn the stand on the round portion of the seat area and drag it to your tree destination like a travois. Beats trying to carry every section individually. Lean up against the tree, secure the middle support leg to the tree, gently climb the ladder to attach the seat to the tree.  ALWAYS ALWAYS use some type of fall protection.  I like a belt around me at the chest that can be attached to the tree a bit higher.  Then adjust the length of the tether so that I can lean down over the stand to make a shot in a bend at the waist position with the safety belt securely holding me in that position.  Several of the big box hardware type stores have stands on sale at significant savings right now.  Tree standing isn't for everyone but in some locations it can be a great aid for successful hunting. 

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 08:04:50 pm »
Thanks Jimmy,

Good info. Aside from the ladder and fall protection are there any features I should look for or are they all much the same?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 09:57:06 pm »
A full body harness is the best and safest. Most tree stands come with a safety harness these days. 
 You can get a ladder stand for under $100 to over $300. Having a closed cell cushion to sit on helps with butt fatigue. Ladder stands are a little cumbersome to set up but for me now a much more secure feeling while hunting. Like I said I hunted from tree stands since 1978. I used clamp on and climbing stands. I was fortunate enough to be able to leave my stands in the tree all season and move them when I wanted or needed to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 11:00:42 pm »
Good stout climbing rope tether and full body harness ladder stand or tree house blind.  Learn to tie and use a Prussic knot, and be very careful!  Bring gear up last.  Staying on the ground is much safer, the fall is limited!  Be sure to have a hunting partner nearby if you are above ground level.  Haven't used a tree stand of any kind, but Jimmi has good info!  I'm too old for climbing trees even with a ladder.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »
How many stands are you planning on installing?  That could make a difference in how much you want to spend for each.  We are using relatively inexpensive stands and having good luck with them in our drier climate.  Under $100 each for sure.  Sometimes half that when they are on sale.  Be sure to check the structural integrity each year or maybe every use.  Check welds, connecting pins, etc.  We have had the lower step sink into the ground and rust away in some locations.  Replace the ratchet straps and/or ropes at least every year.  Just because they "look" good doesn't mean they are.
The safety belt I use was commercially made specifically for tree standing.  It is adjustable for body size and tree size and distance between the 2.  It works best for the type of body positioning for a shot as I stated previously.  Practice installing whatever fall protection method you plan on using on the ground!  Connect it to you and to a tree so you know what process you must use before you get in the air.  Get familiar with all of the necessary safety steps on the ground.  In the air is no place to start learning.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 07:35:27 am »
Find places where a number of trails intersect.  Try to put the stand on the downwind side to maximize your opportunities.  Or find "funnels", pinch points, where a single trail has a narrow area to pass through causing the animals to stay on that trail.  Have a number of different stand locations so you can take advantage of whatever wind direction is taking place the day you may want to hunt.
Taller is not necessarily better.  We have killed animals out of 8 - 10' stands just as much as out of 14 - 16' ones.  Try to have some background behind where you will be sitting/standing.  We are starting to use our leafy suits almost all the time when sitting in stands.  Helps break up the body outline.  Practice shooting out of the stand.  It is way different than being on the ground.  When you mmmmmiss it will usually be high because of not leaning into the shot.  PM me if you've got any other questions.  Don't have all the answers but do have a lot of tree stand hunting experience.  There are 7 of us that have been learning together for over 30 years.

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 10:20:57 am »
Thanks all, I appreciate the information.  Time to go look around and touch some stands, and harnesses.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 11:56:28 am »
I agree with jimmi
Practice everything on ground and then shooting from stand. I have to bend at my waist and square up to my target. Otherwise I shoot a foot high. Angle for a good kill are all different to. If you keep low it helps angle a bit. I don't like right under my stand shots. I'd rather have a shallower angle shot. I feel more comfortable on a larger platform stand with a seat that flips up. I actually like hang on's.
I'm really probably not the best person for advice, but I do know what I don't like. So far I'm 0 for 2 from tree. 2 for 2 from ground. It's easier to see them from tree. Seems easier to get a undetected shot from tree. It's harder to turn and shoot a different direction. Angles can be more difficult. I like to set up stand so animals will approach from behind and to my left ( I'm right handed). That's my best shot zone. If you like taking a nap it's not so good. Some people really like tree saddle. I've never tried one, but they do seem like they would have some advantages over stand.

You can hunt from ground to. Both of my selfbow bucks were from the ground. It's harder see them. It's easier to get busted. I think it's harder to get a shot off without them seeing you. Some may argue that in areas with lots of hunting. I do like to angles better. It's easier to turn and shoot a different direction. It's even possible to move to a different spot. I don't actually use blinds. I've actually had pretty good luck just standing next to a tree. You do have to be very still though. Always have to remind myself that there are deer all around me I just haven't seen them yet. I want to see them before they see me and the best way to do that is by staying still. Best camouflage there is.

You can even still hunt. Same thing. Really need to keep your eyes pealed and movements slow and quiet

Good Luck. Happy Hunting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 08:01:35 am »
Thanks Bjrogg,

Maybe there is hope for me staying on the ground. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the differences in western v eastern hunting.  Back in Arizona something like 80% of the land was federally owned and available for public hunting.  Here in Maryland it seems like the best I can do is a few state parks or pay for private land access.  I will get much more active in figuring this out next year. 

I’m lucky enough to retire in 2021 and I expect I will be spending a whole lot more time wandering the woods with a bow in my hand then.  Actually shooting a deer would be a lucky bonus. Lots to learn in the meantime.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 11:31:19 pm »
Maybe move back out west?!  Sometimes, a landowner may have "game" problems and let you hunt.
Still being in the west, I ain't paying to hunt the game we already own!  Got no desire to go east again!  Must be the "mountain fever"!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 08:36:07 am »
Hawk,

That's an excellent suggestion and one I've pondered every day since moving here.  The story of how and why I'm not in a position to do it now is not appropriate for the internet, but makes a great campfire discussion.  Let's just say that some guys do things for love that in hindsight aren't real bright :)

Fortunately, my new wife understands my love of the west and will give me all the 'sabbaticals' I need to keep my head straight with trips out there.  I still have my Lifetime Hunting License from Arizona, so you never know....

Ted

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 08:46:28 am »
Maybe move back out west?!  Sometimes, a landowner may have "game" problems and let you hunt.
Still being in the west, I ain't paying to hunt the game we already own!  Got no desire to go east again!  Must be the "mountain fever"!
Hawkdancer

Plenty of that here in the corn state!!!  8)

I almost got a lifetime hunt here and i will probably get one next year because of pheasants forever youth hunt. they say next year they can give everyone that attends a lifetime hunt! You go have fun in the great outdoors!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.