Author Topic: coyotes and deer  (Read 3711 times)

Offline sleek

coyotes and deer
« on: November 29, 2019, 08:51:25 pm »
Had those dern dogs beat me to my doe. What's the fastest yall ever seen yotes tear up a deer?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: coyotes and deer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 10:49:04 pm »
How long did it take for you to find her?  She may have run right through the pack! :-D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 11:24:49 pm »
How long did it take for you to find her?  She may have run right through the pack! :-D
Hawkdancer

She was destroyed in the 30 minutes  it took to find her. She looked  butchered.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 06:55:59 pm »
45 minutes for me.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 08:01:38 pm »
45 minutes for me.

How tore up was it in 45 min?

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 06:38:21 pm »
The hind quarters were both damaged (not completely eaten) to the point that I would not eat it, so pretty bad. They started at the soft in between the hind quarters as you can guess. One front shoulder was also damaged pretty bad. It was close to where the arrow went through and they started there. Other front shoulder was good because they didn't have time. Doesn't take a pack long to do serious damage.
Lost a buck a few years ago. Found it the next morning, nothing left but bones and horns.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 07:35:18 pm »
This us all that was left in 30 minutes. Must have been quite a few of them on her

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 09:44:49 pm »
Wow, that's awful.  Where are you, Sleek?  We have coyotes around here but they aren't that bold or that dense.  You know, a good coyote fur is worth some coin, they're a lot of fun to hunt, and I doubt anyone would blame you for having  a bit of a vendetta...
T

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 09:51:41 pm »
Wow, that's awful.  Where are you, Sleek?  We have coyotes around here but they aren't that bold or that dense.  You know, a good coyote fur is worth some coin, they're a lot of fun to hunt, and I doubt anyone would blame you for having  a bit of a vendetta...
T

I'm in north eastern Oklahoma. When sunsets, they light up the air like stars in the sky. To the point that I get nervous walking back after dark, and keep my pistol on me. I'd be interested in learning about yote skins and how to sell them. I'd take no issue with laying them out at this point.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:07:24 pm »
I'm not an avid dog hunter, but I have friends who are.  Last winter a good western coyote skin would bring in around $70-80.  I've heard that eastern and southern coyotes are worth a lot less (not sure why) but ten bucks is ten bucks, right?  The guys I know that hunt have a fur dealer they sell them to locally.  Not sure if he's a local or somebody that comes through.  I bet if you asked around at sporting goods stores, tanneries, and such you could find someone to take the skins off your hands.  Some people even say they're good to eat, but personally I've never been hungry enough to try.

I have nothing against coyotes myself--I rather admire them actually--but they are pretty fun to hunt, and too much of a good thing is a bad thing.  Sounds like your area needs some predator control.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 11:03:43 pm »
Not sure, but I. Think I read the fur is "frost proof" like wolf fur, on a prime pelt.  That might explain the price difference.  A good hide should make a nice quiver!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 05:42:38 am »
I have had them get on one in 30 minutes in the day time but usually not, now at night it is a hit or miss here, anytime you leave one over night you take a chance of them getting on them, I guess they got to eat also but it is aggravating for sure.  :) Buzzards are about as bad around here. >:(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 03:36:51 pm »
With how picked clean it appears to be, I would wonder if it is a different deer than the one you shot. To go from living/ dying animal to that in 30min (with a human scent around), would be mind blowing.

If you want to sell coyote pelts, check out NAFA. They have a few auctions every year, they usually have someone that will pickup furs a few times per year. They are reputable, and you will get more than a local tanner or taxidermist will give you. Usually they will act as a middleman and buy from you, then take it and have it sent to the NAFA auction.

You can lookup there most recent auction prices, looks like eastern coyotes are averaging about $61, and about 95% of them sold. This was from their May auction.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 03:46:23 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 04:00:09 pm »
Wow...I would have wondered if that was the same deer also.  I shot a buck during gun season a week ago right before dark, found it, started field dressing, realized I forgot my bone saw in the car, ran back (probably half a mile or so), couldn't find the deer again for a couple of minutes...anyway, just as I found it again, a pack of coyotes started yipping a bit too excitedly pretty close to me in the dark.  Good thing I hadn't just looked at that photo!  I don't worry too much about them eating a human, but it does cross your mind in some situations.  I didn't bring the rifle back with me, so I would have needed to fight them off with the saw, a small skinning knife, and a good attitude.  Sorry you lost that one.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 06:07:12 pm »
Sleek,
Mine was shot right at dark. Looks like yours was late evening as well. All I can say is these Okie coyotes we have can do some damage fast.