Author Topic: Tiller Check Please : )  (Read 6201 times)

Offline burtonridr

Re: Tiller Check Please : )
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 08:44:05 pm »
Ok here are a few more pics, first is right side up, second is upside down.

*For some reason today when I shot the bow it has a vibration now, it didnt yesterday   :o.... The only thing I did to it was let it sit strung over night to stretch the new string, I unstrung this morning, took it apart and put it back together.... Not sure what to think.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:47:06 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 09:27:43 pm »
I feel like theirs something off  :-\
I cant see it!  >:( well wait for someone better than me!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 09:57:35 pm »
Are the limbs the same length? How does the balance feel each way (normal and flipped)? At this point I would go by how it feels and shoots, since it looks like you are at, or close to, full draw.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 10:13:43 pm »
Ok, stuck the gizmo on it and made about an average of 10 scrapping strokes with a knife in about 3 spots on each limb.

As for how it feels, it feels good and balanced, draw feels nice, just dealing with string vibration  :-\

I think the tiller looks better, on the lower limb I mostly took scraps just on the fade side of the mid limb. See new pics, first pic right side up, second pic upside down.

BTW, I think part of the optical illusion on that lower limb that keeps throwing me off (and maybe others) is the fading into a thicker outter limb the last 6 inches near the knock. If you focus purely on the back of the bow, the bend is more consistent.... I dunno maybe its just me?
Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 10:21:21 pm »
Are the limbs the same length? How does the balance feel each way (normal and flipped)? At this point I would go by how it feels and shoots, since it looks like you are at, or close to, full draw.

Limbs are identical in length, feels good when drawing. Did just notice while really focusing on it that one of the string loops was kinda clicking/bumping something at a slight draw. I flipped the string over and it went away, didnt cure the vibration unfortunately. 
Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 11:03:58 pm »
I think I got it figured out... there was(maybe even still is slightly) a little whip tiller on the lower limb, I took about 20 strokes off the inner 2/3 of the bottom limb and now the whole limb checks out better with the gizmo.

What do you guys think?

first pic right side up, second pic upside down.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:07:06 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 06:52:42 am »
That looks good to me.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 07:05:05 am »
I'm thinking that's looking good. Assuming nothing strange going on with unbraced profile.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 10:48:12 am »
Here's a overlay/reverse image. It's really hard to see the bow against the white garage door. but look carefully. I did this with Gimp, a free download. It takes a little fiddling but it shows some stuff.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 11:04:13 am »
Here's a overlay/reverse image. It's really hard to see the bow against the white garage door. but look carefully. I did this with Gimp, a free download. It takes a little fiddling but it shows some stuff.

That is a great idea!! I never thought of that.

I'm not sure what to think, but it looks to me like the bottom limb still has slightly more bending right about where the string silencer is at? What do you guys think?.... I'm really not sure if I should mess with it anymore or not? It seem very close to me. If you were to remove a little more on the bottom limb, where would you focus?
Offgrid mtn living

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 11:13:13 am »
I think I would make the stiff limb be the bottom limb(if you can) and call it done.

Take the picture with a grain of salt. When I flip the pictures I try to line up the tips but I'm not sure that's right. Maybe I should be making the handle level. The still picture shows some but it's better when you can slide one layer around. A darker background helps a lot.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 12:45:45 pm »
Lucky for me the stiff limb is the bottom limb already  :)

Thanks for all the input everyone, I think I will call it good enough and move on to finish work.... And trying to reduce the string noise  :OK
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:01:32 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 04:45:42 pm »
Bow looks really nice. Good job on your tiller.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »
Thanks pasteve :OK
Offgrid mtn living

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 10:31:39 pm »
The string noise is not effecting performance,,.