Author Topic: Beaver hide  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Beaver hide
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:36 pm »
Hmm, trying to think what to do  :-\ . I want to send some to a tanner but i dont really have the (spending) money. Ill probably send 1 and see how it turns out. then ill decide.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 12:18:36 am »
Russel,
Pm sent!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 05:44:39 am »
It probably is cheaper to buy a already air dried streched hide and send it out to get tanned than to get all the stuff you need to catch, skin, scrape, stretch,tan and break a beaver hide. But what's the fun in that? Still not trying to talk you out of it. Just pretty much whatever you do will cost something. After the initial investment it helps to do more numbers of animals but you will still have additional cost.
Bjrogg

I would estimate I've spent about $160 in the past three years on tanning stuff. I do have some product left and I'm hoping not to have to purchase any this year.

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 07:26:59 am »
Yep, education aint cheap, and sometimes the learning curve can be kinda long, but it is good. ;D Bob

Offline BrianS

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 08:23:01 am »
Deerhunter 21,
I had Moyle tan some furs last season for me. I was very happy with the quality of their work.
Take care,
brian

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 01:20:44 pm »
I would venture to say that most people that continue handling and tanning hides do it because they just are kinda weird and enjoy it. They love the fur and don't mind the less than glamorous job. They don't do it to make or even save money.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 02:09:40 pm »
BJ, You're right, I guess one of the reasons that I like primitive stuff is that ya can't just order it from the big box store or Walmart no matter how much money ya have. That and no 2 items are identical, each Carry's the makers personal touch :-K (f) :BB  Fur was always considered a luxury item and only the rich could afford it, My way of thinking is that any man who can catch, skin and put up fur and make something with it is far far the richer individual. He is rich in life by knowing and understanding the habits of said fur all the way to the final stitches that make it a luxury item or a very useable tool. I have often said that I am one of the richest men in Penna. I have family, friends, flint , fur, fire. I am totally blessed to be this rich. On the other hand hoping I got enough in checking account to cover the check for car insurance :o Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 04:31:22 pm »
I hear you Outback. I'm the same kinda rich. I totally understand Russell's delima. I never have any spending money either, but I feel so blessed in so many other ways.
Bjrogg

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:14 pm »
Family, friends, flint, fur, fire. Now there's something that would make anybody rich!

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 07:31:36 pm »
Appreciate what you have boys because it can be gone in an instant. Trust me, I know.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 11:36:53 pm »
Plus 2, JEB!  'Nough said.  Long time passing.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 11:31:22 am »
Nothin yet, 2 racoons (one he threw away, and one went to his partner), and one beaver that broke the snare but is dead somewhere out there.