Author Topic: Beaver hide  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Beaver hide
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:13:14 am »
So, I was working last Saturday at my local hunting/fishing store and i saw one of my older friends that i hunt and fish with with a load of beaver traps in his bag. we talked to the side for a little bit and i asked what he was doing with the traps. He said that he was going to trap beavers off his land that were destroying his property. I asked what he was planning on doing with the beavers and he said he was just trying to get them off his land. then he said that he would give me the beavers if i was OK with it! i took up his offer and now i'm going to have some beavers to skin and (if their still pretty fresh) cook! I was wondering what you guys would do with beaver! i know that they can fetch a decent price depending on the quality and i am trying to save up for collage and stuff like that. he has a ton of them on his land so i bet i could keep and sell if i wanted. What would you make out of beaver hide. I know teeth can go on jewelry and tails can be for handles, sheaths and other cool stuff. I don't want to waste.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TrevorM

Re: Beaver hide
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 09:27:42 am »
I had beaver backstrap for the first time a few weeks ago, it was ridiculously good.

If you're looking to make money I'd probably tan them and make stuff out of them like gloves and sell them on a site like Etsy.

On a side note, you might want to check you states regs. Here in Alabama you don't have to buy a licence, unless it's commercial. IE Any money's made from it. You don't want to get either of you in trouble...
Trevor

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:29:04 am »
Thats a good point. you might need a licence to sell here.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 11:23:09 am »
Look up your state DNR it should be pretty easy to find out online.
Here in Ohio a fur taker permit is $15

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 11:38:37 am »
I dont think i need a permit because hes harvesting them as a nuisance and it says i don't need a trapping permit because i'm under 19

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:09:30 pm »
You could do a lot of things with them, bomber style hats, quivers, hand warmers, mittens, and the tail makes a great bow handle.  :OK
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 12:32:33 am »
Put me down for a brain tanned hide!  Looking to make a couple of plains quivers this winter, maybe!!  We can work a trade deal!  Such a deal - got a customer lined up already!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:56:28 am »
Deerhunter21, forget about getting rich, The fur market is in the tank except for silky western coyotes, Unless you are experienced with taking care of beaver pelts it is a ton of work if not setup. Beaver are all about work, It takes me about and hr. to skin , flesh and stretch 1 beaver and $10 bucks for the best and largest prime hides, going the other route is a better option, send them to get commercial tanned about $25 plus shipping each way. Then make things or sell tanned soft hides, Home tanned and brain tanning on beaver is a hard to do because of thickness of leather and hard to shave down, commercial tanned beaver are beautiful and durable as ever, Okay enough negativity and on to the positive side, Dried Beaver castors are worth as much as the hide and a lot less labor to remove and dry, Beaver also make excellent table fare I have made burger and have also had canned beaver but the back  straps are good eats. Cauton do not get castors juice on your meat. Good Luck with your endeavor and no matter which way you decide to go you will learn a few things, and remember education aint cheap and also" Knowledge is the easiest tool to carry" Bob

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 01:48:15 pm »
Yeah i didn't think i was going to get rich... But you never know!! Just kidding. i just was thinking a couple hats at a craft fair... couple of arrowhead necklaces. that sorta stuff.  just having fun with it! i mean i would rather be tanning and skinning and sewing than sitting, playing my video games all day!

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 03:53:25 pm »
smoked beaver is awesome.
way better than wood chuck.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 06:15:09 pm »
I agree with every word Outback typed. Everything about beaver is work. I don't want to discourage you by any means. Just keep you from being overwhelmed. I've tanned a couple and definitely one of the harder hides to tan and soften.
They are tasty though. And like already stated everything from the skull to the tail can be used in some way.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:43:47 am »
Bob,  what tanners do you use?  West of the Mississipi?

Kevin, taste is right up there with rabbit?  Haven't had bunny for many years!  Never had beaver!
Not hijacking the thread, Russell needs the info, too! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 07:55:22 am »
Hawk, Moyle mink and tannery in Idaho do an excellent job and I have always got my own furs back. Bob

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 09:07:11 am »
Outback have you ever had them tan the tails? I've never tried tanning them but one of my buddies tried without much success
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:26 am »
BJ, I never heard of Moyle doing tails, I have asked  around about tail tanning an everytime  it seems  secretive or change the subject or maybe just my perception. I did send Big Jims a lg.flat rate box of frozen tails when he first started with beavertail grips. They are hard to flesh without tearing, the actual leather is pretty thin. Bob