Author Topic: Bow length/ draw length  (Read 2296 times)

Offline DC

Bow length/ draw length
« on: December 01, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »
Anyone ever figured out a way of telling how much changing the overall length of a bow changes the draw length? I did a quick drawing and came up with 2" off each end changes the DL by 1 1/2" on a 60" bow. Does that sound reasonable? I hate to say it but I think it would change with the string angle but I'm not sure.

Offline IrishJay

Re: Bow length/ draw length
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 01:08:18 pm »
Don I think overall design plays a huge role in it (r/d, recurve, stiff handle, bendy handle etc...) I think each design probably scales differently i.e. a 4" change on a rigid handle flip tip probably has a different effect on draw length than a 4" change on a straight limbed bendy handle.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 04:15:41 pm »
I've read its

Bow length = (drawlength x 2)+10

Is that what you mean?

Shortening the bow definitely changes full draw string angle and by extension the feeling of the bow stacking due to the loss of leverage as the string angle increases. Which (in part) is why shorter bows sometimes have extreme tip flipping going on.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:19:14 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 04:55:39 pm »
A simple scaled drawing will show the ratio.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 06:44:45 pm »
I've read its

Bow length = (drawlength x 2)+10

Is that what you mean?

Shortening the bow definitely changes full draw string angle and by extension the feeling of the bow stacking due to the loss of leverage as the string angle increases. Which (in part) is why shorter bows sometimes have extreme tip flipping going on.

Not really. That would almost work. What I'm looking for is how much longer the draw length would be if you lengthened the bow, or vice versa.

A simple scaled drawing will show the ratio.

Yeah, that's what I did. I keep looking for "rules of thumb". There doesn't seem to be to many in bowyery.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 07:31:22 pm »
ok Im going by memory,,, so ,, but I think in Volume 1  of THE TRADIONAL BOWERS BIBLE,,
rule of thumb,, if you increase the draw 1 inche,, increas the bow length 2 inches,,,
its in there I will look for it and post later,,but I think thats right,,
it says,,,,,,based upon a starting point of 66 to 67 inches for a 28 inch draw length,, the ideal bow length rises and falls with the draw length,, and an adjustment of two inches of bow length for every inch of arrow length will be very close to correct.  that is on page 69,, (-S
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:39:55 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 07:46:57 pm »
Thanks Brad.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 11:22:59 pm »
Dr Al Herrin has a chart in his book on Cherokee Bows and arrows.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Woodely

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 06:13:00 pm »
........."changing the overall length of a bow changes the draw length?"  I always thought that if I build a 62" bow and still have a draw length of 28"  regardless of bow length,  unless its a real shorty like 54".  pulling that would stress it ,  thats all I know.

If I related all this math stuff to bow building I may as well become an engineer for Ford Motor Comp.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:19:19 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 06:28:41 pm »
Maybe I should have said,"Assuming the same bend." although it probably wouldn't help. I seem to have a problem with the English language. I have a heck of a time being understood a good part of the time. My mother was an English teacher too.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 06:45:10 pm »
Its appears that your Math skills are up to par with some Brainiacs, I mean that in a good way.   I just do everything in the seat of my pants sort of way.   I hate reading directions,  I just build on a whim, any plans are just maybe chicken scratch on a note pad.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 09:46:41 am »
Hey DC,

Are you thinking of something like this?  Usually we pike a bow to pick up more draw weight at the same draw length, but the bow is more stressed.  I think you are asking if there is a way to calculate the new draw length if we said, "I want a 56" 50# bow and am going to make it out of a 60" 50# bow; I wonder what the draw length will be?"  Of course, I may be way off, which would not be unusual...

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 09:48:02 am »
Please refrain from any tiller critiques!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 10:37:00 am »
Left limb little stiff,,, (lol)

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 11:22:02 am »
Yup, that's it :D