Author Topic: Weight question  (Read 1783 times)

Offline apg

Weight question
« on: December 07, 2019, 09:52:45 am »
Hi all,

Making an osage flat bow, and trying not to make mistakes I’ve made in the past - like going to full draw too early in the tiller.

I’m at 40lb at 20”, and i need to get to 50lb at 30” - does anyone know what the equation is to work out what the draw would be right now at 30” if I didn’t take off anymore wood?

Ash

Offline Badger

Re: Weight question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:02:07 am »
 Are you still on a long string or have you got the bow braced. If you have the bow on the long string are you measuring tip movement or where it reads on your tillering board?

Offline apg

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:04:33 am »
I’m at full brace. Haven’t measured tip movement yet. How and why would I do that?

Offline apg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:23:13 am »
Here it is now

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:35 am »
I’m at full brace. Haven’t measured tip movement yet. How and why would I do that?

No reason to but I know some people do it that way. Is there a reason you are not drawing it to 50#?. Sometimes when you add more weight it changes how the limbs react. As it stands now you will be well over 60# closer to 70#.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:00 am »
Generally you gain 2# to 3# per inch of draw so you will have 20# to 30# to loose so you are good to go. You could bring the bend back towards the handle a bit more. The fades are the transition between the static handle and the working limbs.
 Do you have a tillering Gizmo? If not you can easily make one. I think instructions are in the "How To" section.
 Like Badger mentioned, You should pull to 50#(your ultimate draw weight) as you tiller so you don't come in under weight. Be sure everything is bending evenly and together before going farther.
How long is your bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 12:02:28 pm »
This has been said, but driving the point home...this is when the mistake of finishing one up prematurely happens. Folks just want to finish up, but drawing too far without great tiller is a bow killer. Check the tiller with a Gizmo or straight edge. Get it right at 20 inches before drawing any farther. When it is right and proper at 20 inches check the weight. Now check the tiller and weight at 21-22 inches. When right, proceed to 23 inches. This is the follow through stage. Without good follow through all kinds of bad things occur.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 12:59:52 pm »
  I agree that drawing too far too early is a bow killer but only when some portion of the limb is too weak. As long as all part od the bow are still too strong you really can't hurt anything by going to full draw weight right from the very beginning. I start off slowly working up to full draw weight just watching for areas bending too much. As long as nothing is bending too much I just start adjusting tiller but always going to full draw weight. I keep perfecting and adjusting tiller until I hit full draw length. By sneaking up on full draw weight there s some risk that you can have an unexpected surprise as more weight is applied. 

Offline apg

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 03:41:58 pm »
All great advice and noted !! Worked it to 30” evenly, bit by bit. It’s at 52 lb now at 30” and feeling good. Thank you all!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 04:02:59 pm »
Very nice. Tiller looks great. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 04:27:19 pm »
The tiller looks good. One possible exception...on the bottom limb...10 inches or so from the tip. If that is a kink in the limb, no biggie. Is that what it is?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 04:29:28 pm »
im guessing 65 if you were to go to full draw

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 04:41:33 pm »
The tiller looks good. One possible exception...on the bottom limb...10 inches or so from the tip. If that is a kink in the limb, no biggie. Is that what it is?

I agree with you, it might be a problem when weight starts increasing unless it just looks that way in the pic.

Offline apg

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 08:02:31 pm »
THANK YOU!! Worked hard on this one. The kink you see is just a glitch in the photo. It’s smooth.

Going to start another thread now about finishing, to try to strengthen and keep the strength of the bow intact.