Author Topic: Old video  (Read 5887 times)

Offline DC

Old video
« on: December 05, 2019, 12:18:22 pm »
 Someone on the German forum"Fletchers Corner" posted this link. It's a very good video even if it's not in English. I think it's Korean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2JNSnVrfpA&list=WL

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Old video
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:45:42 pm »
Very interesting video DC
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 01:52:42 am »
Yes it is always good to see the old methods.
How that horn doesn't delam I don't know!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 02:55:47 pm »
if you don't mind me asking what about their process makes you say that?  ???  seems like a typical glue up process based off of other videos seen and articles i've read.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:21:56 pm »
So, in the arrow making section, what was it they wrapped the nock with?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 05:34:19 pm »
At 31:50? I'm pretty sure it's sinew.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 01:01:08 am »
if you don't mind me asking what about their process makes you say that?  ???  seems like a typical glue up process based off of other videos seen and articles i've read.

Touching the prepared horn with uncovered hands and grooves that aren't straight. There are other things as well but those are the main no no's. If you look about there are examples of delamed Korean hornbows.
There is best practise and then what works. Obviously their method works but I prefer to go a little  'safer' with my horn glue-ups to eliminate any problems.

Yes sinew round the nocks, they also cover that with birch bark sometimes or burnish and paint.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:01:19 am »
So that's like a sngle thickness piece of birch bark over the sinew (on the arrow nock), presumably soaked in water to get that pliable

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 08:29:25 am »

Touching the prepared horn with uncovered hands and grooves that aren't straight. There are other things as well but those are the main no no's. If you look about there are examples of delamed Korean hornbows.
There is best practise and then what works. Obviously their method works but I prefer to go a little  'safer' with my horn glue-ups to eliminate any problems.

Gotcha, fine points/details that can potentially cause a failure.