Author Topic: Shoot shafts  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Shoot shafts
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 08:15:58 pm »
Thanks,  Art, I'll give it a try.

This is pretty addictive,  I'm tryjng to locate more wild rose bushes but have only turned up some little scrubby ones so far.  Also keeping an eye out for black currant, but like wise only scrubby ones, too.

The trick is to find good bushes and 'coppice' them. 2nd growth is straighter. 3rd growth even better.

We had some beautiful and near perfectly straight wild rose growing at a city park.  Every time I walked my dog I'd think about collecting some, and almost brought my pruning tool a time or two.   The city would prune them now and again cutting them so that the stumps were about six inches above the ground.  Subsequent growth was amazing. Could've collected dozens of shafts.

Then one day I walked the dog and and it was all gone.  Not trimmed back, but completely ripped out of the ground.  It was a sad sad day.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 09:13:11 pm »
If it was a multiflora rose it is an invasive exotic and can easily take over an area in a few years. Many folks do what they can to eliminate multiflora roses
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 10:56:36 pm »
I'm not the best at identifying plants based on pictures but after looking at online images these are definitely not multiflora.   Look alot more like rosa woodsii, with pale pinkish white-ish petals.

If I decided to grow some in the yard, what's the best rose speices or subspecies for making arrow shafts?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-